Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Running a console program at startup

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
eldiener

Running a console program at startup

#1 Post by eldiener »

I boot Debian and do not run any GUI system. I would like to start a console program in two different cases:

1) Before a login takes place but after Debian has fully booted and all network services have been started.
2) After a login takes place to be stared automatically after the login has completed. The login is always as the root user of the system.

The program uses the hardware on the system, most notably a modem which responds to AT commands, and the program uses openssl for security. All this needs ot have been started/initialized before the program starts.

For 1) above I have read a number of articles about starting a program like a service, such as http://xmodulo.com/how-to-automatically ... ebian.html, but they seem confusing to me despite my being a programmer. Most notably I do not understand how to insure that the program runs at runlevel 3, and I do not understand how to 'kill' the program at shutdown. From the console window, when running in the foreground, the program can be stopped by typing a particular sequence of letters in the window and hitting enter. But I do not know how to achieve this as part of a 'stop' action. Maybe there is some other way in Debian to stop the program and allow it to shutdown gracefully. The program is not a service.

For 2) above I imagine I can add the program to start at the end of the .profile for the root user. Is this the correct way to have the program start once the root user logs in ?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Running a console program at startup

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian uses systemd so you will have to learn that now:

Code: Select all

apropos systemd
^ The man pages are very thorough :)

EDIT: I would also use /root/.profile for your second scenario.
deadbang

eldiener

#4 Post by eldiener »

Your links are very nice but surely there must be some simple recipe for running a non-service console program at boot time without having to understand the details of systemd. If this is something that is hard or impossible to do in Debian then I would appreciate it if someone just said so.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

It's not hard or impossible, but you do need to understand some details about how systemd works. There are plenty of examples all over the net, here's a basic tutorial http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/20 ... ls-Systemd

I didn't understand the description that the program starts before login, but you can stop it from console by typing into it's window? You say The program is not a service., but if it is running outside of a login, well, I kind of thought that is exactly what a service is?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

eldiener wrote:Your links are very nice but surely there must be some simple recipe for running a non-service console program at boot time without having to understand the details of systemd. If this is something that is hard or impossible to do in Debian then I would appreciate it if someone just said so.
[Removed by moderator]

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

eldiener wrote:If this is something that is hard or impossible to do in Debian then I would appreciate it if someone just said so.
It is hard, but not impossible. To clarify, I would find it difficult, because I do not understand the details of systemd, and I am to lazy to read the manuals.

Edited: removed quote, and comment
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-04-03 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

GarryRicketson wrote:
eldiener wrote:If this is something that is hard or impossible to do in Debian then I would appreciate it if someone just said so.
It is hard, but not impossible. To clarify, I would find it difficult, because I do not understand the details of systemd, and I am to lazy to read the manuals.
ah... come on Garry, it's not that bad. Actually, since systemd came along, most debian pkgs have an actual working config and an enabled and working service file when installed. You don't have to do much to get basic functionality besides apt install the pkg.

Anyway, that leads me to wonder why the OP needs to set this up, and what the "console program" mentioned is, and why it doesn't include a working service file, like most debian pkgs do?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

eldiener

#9 Post by eldiener »

debiman wrote:
eldiener wrote:Your links are very nice but surely there must be some simple recipe for running a non-service console program at boot time without having to understand the details of systemd. If this is something that is hard or impossible to do in Debian then I would appreciate it if someone just said so.
eldiener wrote:I have received a valid answer to my question. I don't like this answer, for whatever reason, so I'll keep on repeating my question until I get an answer I like. If that doesn't happen I will blame Linux for it.
I never said the second of your quotes. Why would you make something up like that !

eldiener

#10 Post by eldiener »

GarryRicketson wrote:
eldiener wrote:
I have received a valid answer to my question. I don't like this answer, for whatever reason, so I'll keep on repeating my question until I get an answer I like. If that doesn't happen I will blame Linux for it.
That is fine, stick with Windows , or what ever other OS that works the way you want it to.
Bye
The second supposed quote was never made by me. Is there a way to complain about the person who made it up and then claimed it was by me ?

eldiener

#11 Post by eldiener »

bw123 wrote:
GarryRicketson wrote:
ah... come on Garry, it's not that bad. Actually, since systemd came along, most debian pkgs have an actual working config and an enabled and working service file when installed. You don't have to do much to get basic functionality besides apt install the pkg.

Anyway, that leads me to wonder why the OP needs to set this up, and what the "console program" mentioned is, and why it doesn't include a working service file, like most debian pkgs do?
The program was initially designed to run as a console program when the /root user logged in on a Debian ARM SOM system. Then the request is that the program be running as part of Debian startup even before the /root user logged in, as it needs no user interaction other than a 'q' key to end the program, even though it does output informatory messages to its console window. That is what triggered my OP. Since this request did not involve running the program as a daemon, I thought there might be a fairly simple explanation to do this without having to understand how 'systemd' works. This is why I asked if this could be done without understanding 'systemd'. Someone else then quoted me falsely and some people reacted negatively to that false quote. It shows that even here people will fall for false information.

Now the latest request I have received is that the program run as a daemon where all output will go to a log file. I understand how to change the program as an old-style SysV daemon, but I believe that the new-style systemd daemon is what the Debian ARM system uses. So I will read up on 'systemd' with the links so graciously given me by others.

reinob

#12 Post by reinob »

eldiener wrote: The program was initially designed to run as a console program when the /root user logged in on a Debian ARM SOM system. Then the request is that the program be running as part of Debian startup even before the /root user logged in, as it needs no user interaction other than a 'q' key to end the program, even though it does output informatory messages to its console window. That is what triggered my OP. Since this request did not involve running the program as a daemon, I thought there might be a fairly simple explanation to do this without having to understand how 'systemd' works. This is why I asked if this could be done without understanding 'systemd'. Someone else then quoted me falsely and some people reacted negatively to that false quote. It shows that even here people will fall for false information.

Now the latest request I have received is that the program run as a daemon where all output will go to a log file. I understand how to change the program as an old-style SysV daemon, but I believe that the new-style systemd daemon is what the Debian ARM system uses. So I will read up on 'systemd' with the links so graciously given me by others.
Normally interactive programs are run when a user has logged in, and, more importantly, require a controlling terminal (so that they respond to the keyboard and can display on the screen). From what you've described, your program needs a controlling terminal.

Systemd to the rescue! What follows is untested and never actually tried (just theory)..

Create a systemd unit (text file) at /etc/systemd/system/, e.g. /etc/systemd/system/my-program.service
(it's a plain text file, the extension needs to be .service), with the following content:

[Unit]
Description=My program
After=getty@tty2.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/path/to/your/program
StandardInput=tty
TTYPath=/dev/tty2
TTYReset=yes
TTYVHangup=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
This will (or should..) prepare a terminal on the second virtual terminal (ALT-F2) where your program will run interactively (as root, but you can change that too), independently of any users being logged in.

Once you've saved the file do "systemctl daemon-reload" then "systemctl enable my-program.service".
You can then either reboot or try "systemctl start my-program" and check if something has moved in VT2.

I'm not sure about the "After=" part but give it try and report back.

eldiener

#13 Post by eldiener »

reinob wrote:
eldiener wrote: The program was initially designed to run as a console program when the /root user logged in on a Debian ARM SOM system. Then the request is that the program be running as part of Debian startup even before the /root user logged in, as it needs no user interaction other than a 'q' key to end the program, even though it does output informatory messages to its console window. That is what triggered my OP. Since this request did not involve running the program as a daemon, I thought there might be a fairly simple explanation to do this without having to understand how 'systemd' works. This is why I asked if this could be done without understanding 'systemd'. Someone else then quoted me falsely and some people reacted negatively to that false quote. It shows that even here people will fall for false information.

Normally interactive programs are run when a user has logged in, and, more importantly, require a controlling terminal (so that they respond to the keyboard and can display on the screen). From what you've described, your program needs a controlling terminal.

Systemd to the rescue! What follows is untested and never actually tried (just theory)..

Create a systemd unit (text file) at /etc/systemd/system/, e.g. /etc/systemd/system/my-program.service
(it's a plain text file, the extension needs to be .service), with the following content:

[Unit]
Description=My program
After=getty@tty2.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/path/to/your/program
StandardInput=tty
TTYPath=/dev/tty2
TTYReset=yes
TTYVHangup=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
This will (or should..) prepare a terminal on the second virtual terminal (ALT-F2) where your program will run interactively (as root, but you can change that too), independently of any users being logged in.

Once you've saved the file do "systemctl daemon-reload" then "systemctl enable my-program.service".
You can then either reboot or try "systemctl start my-program" and check if something has moved in VT2.

I'm not sure about the "After=" part but give it try and report back.
Thank you very much for the information. As a daemon I should not need a terminal if I am going to direct all output to a log file, should I ? Or did I misunderstand something in your explanation ? In other words any console output in the program I am going to replace with output to a log file and no console input will be attempted to end the program but it will just run in the background doing its task as long as the OS is running.

reinob

#14 Post by reinob »

eldiener wrote:Thank you very much for the information. As a daemon I should not need a terminal if I am going to direct all output to a log file, should I ? Or did I misunderstand something in your explanation ? In other words any console output in the program I am going to replace with output to a log file and no console input will be attempted to end the program but it will just run in the background doing its task as long as the OS is running.
Well, I don't know what exactly your program does and how. (I assume it is some kind of custom (non-debian) program that you can't modify..)

But if you say you can stop it by typing some command, it means that it is waiting for keyboard (stdin, i.e. tty) input. If a program expects a tty (stdin) and it doesn't have one (like a real daemon or "service") then it will most likely die as soon as it tries to open the tty for reading.

You can read https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy ... .exec.html, and especially the section "Logging and Standard Input/Output". It's pretty cool actually. You could redirect the output (stdout) to a file (which you mentioned you want to do, so systemd does it for you for free), and the console input (stdin) could be even a Unix socket, so that when you want to stop it you could send the command via the socket. Really cool indeed!

Whether a VT is required or not, I don't really now. I think if you set Standard{Input,Output,Error} to something other than tty (e.g. a file or a socket) then the TTY* options are not relevant, so I presume that the program will run without any visible effect.

Give it a shot (or rather, a "oneshot" :) and report back.

pylkko

#15 Post by pylkko »

I don't have the time to retype it but I have posted on this forum a systemd service that kills a service upon shutdown and starting it when booting is pretty straight forward. You absolutely do not need a tty for it and you don't need a log for it either and actually systemd will not print a log unless you specify it in the .service. I have used these on robots that I have made running Debian that have no input methods/devices at all and no display.

edit:

see:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ce#p629835