Clean completely?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Clean completely?

Postby pironman » 2018-05-17 06:55

Time ago I have installed chromium web browser, but then I remove it. All the operations via apt-get.
When I clean the PC via BleachBit, I see also chromium and other program that I don't have anymore in my PC.
That's mean that somethings of these programs remain in the PC? How can I clean it completely?

Thank you
pironman

Re: Clean completely?

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-05-17 11:20

Code: Select all
apt purge packagename

In your case:
apt purge chromium

This will remove the package and most of it's config files. But something will still remain.
To get rid of obsolete dependencies of all packages:
apt autoremove

Keep in mind, if you are using GNOME or KDE, core metapackages of these DE's require either firefox-esr or chromium package installed. Otherwise most of your system will be flagged for autoremove.
Use autoremove command only on Stable, and only when you are absolutely sure you don't need those packages.
Why Debian isn't user-friendly?
HOWTO: Install ES3 Morrowind on Debian Sid and Stable
"My computer is a few electrical transistors I flip manually with registers made out of salt water and lemon juice in some cups." - some guy on Reddit
Wheelerof4te

Postby n_hologram » 2018-05-17 11:24

apt-get clean
is another useful command.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby None1975 » 2018-05-17 14:35

Hello. It is generally advisable to purge removed packages (purging a package will generally also purge its log files, so you might want to back them up first).
The following command displays a list of all removed packages that may have configuration files left on the system (if any):
$ dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ { print $2 }'

The packages can be removed by using apt-get purge. Assuming you want to purge all of them in one go, you can use the following command:
# apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ { print $2 }')
None1975

Return to General Questions