Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Alternative to Lynis & versioning software

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[SOLVED] Alternative to Lynis & versioning software

#1 Post by cds60601 »

Hey everyone -

I really like the data I get from running Lynis, and in my quest to have a completely native sources file (this happen to be the only one left to deal with), is there something that is comparable to Lynis that I can use to "keep an eye" on things? It does not have to be one application (I'm not opposed to sever to do the work of one).

And for a completely off topic question, for those that create "helper scripts" to do some odds and ends things (backups, rsync, encrypting files, and some general house-cleaning, etc) I am toying with the idea of installing some versioning system (yes I know, seems a bit much for scripts, but more the learning experience I suppose).

Would appreciate some experiences and recommendations with the goal of not being so complex as to make this ridiculous to even attempt (again, this is for scripts, lol).
I would rather not use the archaic way I'm now keeping historical creations but, if the overhead and work involved would not be worth it, I would like to know that too!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far everyone, muchly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by cds60601 on 2018-06-22 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

pendrachken

Re: Alternative to Lynis and a versioning software question

#2 Post by pendrachken »

cds60601 wrote: I really like the data I get from running Lynis, and in my quest to have a completely native sources file (this happen to be the only one left to deal with), is there something that is comparable to Lynis that I can use to "keep an eye" on things? It does not have to be one application (I'm not opposed to sever to do the work of one).

So install lynis from the stretch repositories? No need for GIT / using any other repositories, it should be in stretch main. Matter of fact, it's in oldstable to unstable. You really should at least do an apt-cache search for this before asking...
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

pendrachken wrote:
cds60601 wrote: So install lynis from the stretch repositories? No need for GIT / using any other repositories, it should be in stretch main. Matter of fact, it's in oldstable to unstable. You really should at least do an apt-cache search for this before asking...
I had no idea it was in the repos. I will admit, ignorance is not an excuse, I should have looked.
That being said in I did as mentioned and now have a native source file.

Cheers
Chris

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

Thank you, Gary. Appreciate the external link also.

Cheers
Chris

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Alternative to Lynis and a versioning software ques

#6 Post by cds60601 »

... and as a starter for version software, I have opted for svn. I have read its a good choice for the novice that wants to do some basic local versioning.