Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

Postby GhandiKruu » 2018-07-15 20:18

Hi everyone

I have installed Debian stretch 64bit on my HP Elitebook 2170p laptop. I installed it with /, /var, /home, /tmp and /swap as separate partitions. Its encrypted (LUKS?)I did a live USB first to see what would work before installing. Wifi didnt, but used cable instead.

My problem is this. First time I use the laptop for the day, after the Grub menu it will print one or two lines and after "Loading initial ramdisk ... " it halts and the screen graphics becomes unreadable/distorted. I can CTRL + ALT + DEL and restart.

In the Grub menu I press e to see what happens after "Loading initial ramdisk.." and next line is:
init /initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64, I check in /boot to see if it was there and it was. (Sorry I couldnt get the text from Grub onto here following Debian guides, that is for another post)

Anyways the really strange thing is that if I go to BIOS and do a ram error checking and stop it after just 1% done. It will boot no problem!? Which is a good thing but I am completely lost in terms of troubleshooting. Any ideas or pointers would be helpful.

Best regards
Ghandi
GhandiKruu

Re: Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-07-16 04:35

GhandiKruu wrote:if I go to BIOS and do a ram error checking and stop it after just 1% done. It will boot no problem

If you let the memory test run to completion does it show any errors?
E Pluribus Unix
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

Postby GhandiKruu » 2018-07-16 20:46

It completes the ram diagnostics without errors. Also it happens every time I restart, not just shutdown unfortunately.

I took pictures but I get errors trying to attach them but after ram diagnostic I get some errors showing before it ask me for the password for the encryption (LVM). It says:

[ 1.861985] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attemting to read a pcr value
[ 1.933997] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attemting to read a pcr value
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmtad. Falling back to device scanning.
Cannot process volume group unknown-netbook-vg
Please unlock disk sda5_crypt:

Now I didnt noticed this when I wrote my post. But lvmtad is the lvm I created when I tested Debian stretch XFCE before I installed my present Debian strecht Gnome. Really surprised it didnt erase the whole thing, maybe I wash paying attention during installation.
GhandiKruu

Return to General Questions