Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to get VisualBoyAdvance emulator on Testing/Buster?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
okeesan9012124

How to get VisualBoyAdvance emulator on Testing/Buster?

#1 Post by okeesan9012124 »

I can install the basic package through apt-get or synaptic, but that's the only thing there. Why aren't any of the other files, like the gtk there? Is there any way for me to install the emulator?

I tried downloading the .deb files from the debian website of the visualboyadvance-gtk from other versions of debian. It seems like it's in every version (jessie, sid, wheezy, stretch etc.) EXCEPT testing/buster. When I try to install the .deb files there was always a dependency issue and wouldn't let me download it.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to get VisualBoyAdvance emulator on Testing/Buster?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

okeesan9012124 wrote:It seems like it's in every version (jessie, sid, wheezy, stretch etc.) EXCEPT testing/buster
That is quite normal and to be expected, the testing branch is a development version so the dependency tree cannot be expected to be complete at any given time.

Why not try Debian stable instead?
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Perhaps if you posted the exact dependency issue that you're getting, someone would know a workaround. Otherwise, we're just taking shots in the dark.

The other method, if it's open source, would be to rebuild the packages on your own platform, which usually fixes any dependency issues.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Oh, wait, it's a Debian package...so you can just look at the changelog it installed on your system. If you don't know where that is, you can just look at it online at packages.debian.org:

Code: Select all

* Remove visualboyadvance-gtk, which relies on GTK 2.4 (Closes: #885074)
Actually, they are talking about libglademm-2.4 and libgtkmm-2.4...
MX Linux packager and developer

okeesan9012124

#5 Post by okeesan9012124 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
okeesan9012124 wrote:It seems like it's in every version (jessie, sid, wheezy, stretch etc.) EXCEPT testing/buster
That is quite normal and to be expected, the testing branch is a development version so the dependency tree cannot be expected to be complete at any given time.

Why not try Debian stable instead?

Thanks for the suggestion! I would use stable but I had some driver issues with my cpu since it is newer and requires an updated kernel among other things. Whereas Buster worked out the box. I will look into Debian stable again though to see if updating the kernel and Mesa manually will fix the issues that I had in the past.

okeesan9012124

#6 Post by okeesan9012124 »

stevepusser wrote:Perhaps if you posted the exact dependency issue that you're getting, someone would know a workaround. Otherwise, we're just taking shots in the dark.

The other method, if it's open source, would be to rebuild the packages on your own platform, which usually fixes any dependency issues.
That's interesting, I don't know how to rebuild the packages on my own platform though I would be willing to learn how! Is it fairly easy to do or a bit more advanced?
stevepusser wrote:Oh, wait, it's a Debian package...so you can just look at the changelog it installed on your system. If you don't know where that is, you can just look at it online at packages.debian.org:

Code: Select all

* Remove visualboyadvance-gtk, which relies on GTK 2.4 (Closes: #885074)
Actually, they are talking about libglademm-2.4 and libgtkmm-2.4...
Oh, so do I have to have those dependencies installed then? Is 2.4 too new for Debian to have through normal repositories? Or is it an old outdated version and Debian uses a newer version?

EDIT: it looks like Debian testing uses 2.4, at least for libgtkmm. Or at least on my system that's what it is using.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

okeesan9012124 wrote:I had some driver issues with my cpu since it is newer and requires an updated kernel among other things.
https://backports.debian.org/
deadbang