Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installer / How to resize partition

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mrkapqa

Installer / How to resize partition

#1 Post by mrkapqa »

hello ,

since i started on journey to linux debian has been my favorite distro.

lately i started to wonder where this distro is going. it seemed a bit less responsive and a bit buggy, but maybe thats just my point of view and i tend to fous on some really annoying point.

One thing i keep wondering is why does Debian not include the best practice of Ubuntu to include the possibility to resize partition automatically to install Debian alongside an existing OS like Windows or other Linux?
It is a pretty fair feature and i am really hoping Debian admins are hearing this call;
Downsides i don't see any with this feature, so why don't learn from other Distro as well?

arzgi

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

#2 Post by arzgi »

Any automatic function turns to nightmare, when you want or have to do something else than default.

My sister got her first computer years ago, it had ubuntu preloaded. I had to help her quite a bit at start, and after 3rd time sister had debian :D

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

If i wanted Ubuntu 's so called features, I would install Ubuntu, but that would be stupid, it is such a bad distro. In fact it is so bad, it almost bricked my laptop. I finally managed to get rid of it and installed Windows 10, then after reading more about Debian, i fond out I could resize the partition and create a new one for Debian, i may try it, still have not yet tried , after my experience with Ubuntu, i am reluctant to put any linux system on my laptop.
But i do think it is better that Debian does not follow the bad examples of a poorly designed system used by Ubuntu and some of the other distros.
Besides that , resizeing and creating partitions is pretty basic, it should not be done automatically and is easily done manually as needed, even us windows users know a little about partitioning. I have FreeDos and windows 10 as dual boot, i might add Debian, but am sill reading the documentation and thingling about it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I think debian has learned too much from other distros already. I wonder also about where it is going. You seem to want it to be more like others, while I like it because it is(was?) unique.

The partitioning is covered here.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 05.html.en

My thought would be the reason partitioning should not done automatically is that it is potentially destructive. A backup would be a good idea.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

mrkapqa

#5 Post by mrkapqa »

bw123 wrote:I think debian has learned too much from other distros already. I wonder also about where it is going. You seem to want it to be more like others, while I like it because it is(was?) unique.

The partitioning is covered here.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 05.html.en

My thought would be the reason partitioning should not done automatically is that it is potentially destructive. A backup would be a good idea.

Thank you ,

i did use Debian quite extensively and found never real need for Ubuntu, although i like the color Violet of it very much :)
since Debian Squeeze (actually the first Linux i longer used , alongside Wheezy) i found quite some uncomfortable "evolutions", if i may say that; being an beginner, still.
Whenever i tried Ubuntu the automatic installer i did enjoy, but you were right , it could give problems;
Nevertheless, i would not underestimate the comfort of partitioning or resizing on the fly, which i think is also important for people that are new to Linux and want a clean start withouth much fuss or tinkering; but hey, that again, would not be Linux, wouldn't it?

djk44883

#6 Post by djk44883 »

mrkapqa wrote: so why don't learn from other Distro as well?
Don't you realize ubuntu IS built from debian testing?!? ...kind of like they're learning from debian. Although debian does have options to resize partitions,
mrkapqa wrote: i don't see any with this feature
you not seeing doesn't make it a good idea

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

hey look, i'm feeding the troll!

seriously, there's no such thing as "best practice", and anyhow, if ubuntu is so much better in your opinion, nobody is keeping you from using it. good bye!

mrkapqa

#8 Post by mrkapqa »

I am still using Debian, which i like most, but the "resize" feature i am dearly missing, as it comes in handy sometimes (got used to handy partitioning from Mac OSX)

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

what is automatic resizing? how can a distro possibly know how big you want partitions to be?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

kevinthefixer

#10 Post by kevinthefixer »

If you want everything done for you automatically, I recommend you stick with Windows. Or Ubuntu, which seems to be trying to emulate Windows these days. Debian is not trying to make itself easy for beginners, it is aimed at power users who are willing to make some effort to customize their own systems in order to optimize them for their own use. If I want my partitions resized, I'll do it myself, thank you. That can be done easily with any number of live distros, including a live CD made just to run gparted, or a Debian or even Ubuntu live CD. Again, if that's too much effort for you you're simply in the wrong place.

mrkapqa

#11 Post by mrkapqa »

kevinthefixer wrote:If you want everything done for you automatically, I recommend you stick with Windows. Or Ubuntu, which seems to be trying to emulate Windows these days. Debian is not trying to make itself easy for beginners, it is aimed at power users who are willing to make some effort to customize their own systems in order to optimize them for their own use. If I want my partitions resized, I'll do it myself, thank you. That can be done easily with any number of live distros, including a live CD made just to run gparted, or a Debian or even Ubuntu live CD. Again, if that's too much effort for you you're simply in the wrong place.
Windows is a great Software, but i like simplicity of Linux, and am eager to learn about it.
For the sake of simplicity, i think it is really nice to have a "toolbox" that allows for easy manipulation of a HDD, when trying to install a new operating system, already on-board.
I have not thought of manipulating Harddisk with other programs, and have always taken what the program offered.

Only with Ubuntu i found out that it is effectively available to easily integrate this feature into the installer (besides, the Installer seems almost identical), and sometimes it happened that i installed Debian and would have needed this feature.

I think there is nothing wrong with asking the best of all of words to be integrated.

There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.

mrkapqa

#12 Post by mrkapqa »

milomak wrote:what is automatic resizing? how can a distro possibly know how big you want partitions to be?

Sorry, that was an "auto"type, wrong assumption; what i meant is, a feature, that allows for easy manipulation of HDD, eg. when an operating system is already installed, like Windows, and fits the entire HDD, the installer would recognize that, and offer the "automatic" resizing of the partition as to allow the installation of another operating system, eg. Debian.

llivv

#13 Post by llivv »

mrkapqa wrote: Windows is a great Software, but i like simplicity of Linux, and am eager to learn about it.
For the sake of simplicity, i think it is really nice to have a "toolbox" that allows for easy manipulation of a HDD, when trying to install a new operating system, already on-board.
I have not thought of manipulating Harddisk with other programs, and have always taken what the program offered.
Only with Ubuntu i found out that it is effectively available to easily integrate this feature into the installer (besides, the Installer seems almost identical), and sometimes it happened that i installed Debian and would have needed this feature.
I think there is nothing wrong with asking the best of all of words to be integrated.
There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.
oh the irony !
Why posted here and not at Devuan?
Is this the linux friendliest forums? :idea:
Last edited by llivv on 2018-12-09 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

mrkapqa

#14 Post by mrkapqa »

llivv wrote:
what response do you get form Devuan users to statements like that?
mrkapqa wrote:
Hello , i have not asked them, since i use it since short time, and Debian since around 2013 probably.

mrkapqa wrote:There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.
oh the irony !

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

by mrkapqa » 2018-12-09 14:30
Windows is a great Software,---snip--
No it isn't, but if you prefer things be like they are on windows, then maybe just stick with that.
P.S. maybe this topic/thread should just be closed, it seems like a deliberate attempt at trolling to me.

mrkapqa

#16 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello ,

i have opened this discussion, why would you want me to close it?

mrkapqa

#17 Post by mrkapqa »

but it seems that no one spoke in favor of my suggestion, so it could aswell be closed, no problem with that.