[SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-05-14 15:13

I followed the build process for wlroots and sway as outlined on their GitHub pages.
Everything compiles and installs as it should, but when I run sway either on new tty or via GDM, it fails with:
Code: Select all
sway: error while loading shared libraries: libwlroots.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have tried with different versions, both sway and wlroots master and sway 1.0 with wlroots 0.5.
I noticed that both sway and wlroots when compiled install in /usr/local dir.
What am I doing wrong?
I am using Buster with GNOME.
EDIT: Fixed it by adding my custom lib path to .bashrc
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2019-05-14 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-05-14 15:54

Wheelerof4te wrote:I noticed that both sway and wlroots when compiled install in /usr/local dir.

That is the expected behaviour for a locally compiled program, it prevents conflicts with APT packages.

You can build the latest version by adding a deb-src line for experimental and then using:
Code: Select all
apt source sway
cd sway*
uscan
debuild -us -uc
# dpkg -i ../sway*.deb
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 9693
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-05-14 16:13

I solved it by adding library path to wlroots to .basrc.
Now I have to figure out a much bigger problem...why my background isn't working :D
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby stevepusser » 2019-05-14 20:41

Wheelerof4te wrote:I followed the build process for wlroots and sway as outlined on their GitHub pages.
Everything compiles and installs as it should, but when I run sway either on new tty or via GDM, it fails with:
Code: Select all
sway: error while loading shared libraries: libwlroots.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have tried with different versions, both sway and wlroots master and sway 1.0 with wlroots 0.5.
I noticed that both sway and wlroots when compiled install in /usr/local dir.
What am I doing wrong?
I am using Buster with GNOME.
EDIT: Fixed it by adding my custom lib path to .bashrc


Old, but still valid in its main points: viewtopic.php?t=38976

Sometime you just have to patch the sources to get it to build on Debian, too. You can't build qosmic without a patch, for example: https://github.com/bitsed/qosmic
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: FreeCAD 0.18.1, Liquorix kernel 5.0-16, wine-staging 4.8, Virtual Box 5.2.28, Calibre 3.42.0, GIMP 2.10.10
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 10804
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-05-15 12:23

^True, but wlroots and sway are compiled using meson, and the devs provided easy way to uninstall it after.
Just run
Code: Select all
sudo ninja uninstall
in build directory.
I wish all developers did this, it would be much easier to compile and run software across different distros.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby None1975 » 2019-05-15 13:20

Sway (version 1.0~rc3-1) is in Debian experimental repo. Maybe it would be easier to install this window manager by upgrading to Sid enabling experimental repos?
OS: Debian Stretch / WM: Spectrwm
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania, Vilnius

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-05-15 13:25

^I want to stay on Buster, though.
It was a bit time consuming tracing all dependencies by their Debian names, but that was only thing "difficult". Github pages have all the instructions one should need to build Sway, at least on Buster.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-05-15 14:29

Wheelerof4te wrote:I wish all developers did this

Meson & Ninja are fast becoming the new standard.

I still think building a .deb from the (updated) experimental sources is a better idea though.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 9693
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-05-15 16:01

^We could argue about that. I'm all for a cross-distro, sensible binary building directly from upstream that doesn't involve Flatpak or other atrocious disk space wasting solutions.
But, that would require opening another thread.
User avatar
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: [SOLVED] Compiled Sway libwlroots error

Postby stevepusser » 2019-05-15 20:42

Wheelerof4te wrote:^True, but wlroots and sway are compiled using meson, and the devs provided easy way to uninstall it after.
Just run
Code: Select all
sudo ninja uninstall
in build directory.
I wish all developers did this, it would be much easier to compile and run software across different distros.


I do almost all my package builds for MX Linux using either pbuilder or sbuild, which starts with a clean schroot every time and then installs only what's needed to build the package, then cleans itself up afterwards. This means I can mess around with my production system without fear of it affecting my distro builds. The builds do take a bit longer to install the packages as the beginning, but using eatmydata speeds that up by about a third.

Or you could have the OBS build your backports for you in similar clean environments.

Back when I was using Jessie, I could even use pbuilder to build armhf Pi packages in amd64, but that seems to be broken in Stretch now. :( The OBS will do it in Stretch, though.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: FreeCAD 0.18.1, Liquorix kernel 5.0-16, wine-staging 4.8, Virtual Box 5.2.28, Calibre 3.42.0, GIMP 2.10.10
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 10804
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53


Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

fashionable