Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help installing latest NVIDIA drivers

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ogmios

Need help installing latest NVIDIA drivers

#1 Post by ogmios »

I hope someone can help me. I am trying to install the new NVIDIA drivers on my debian system, but I cannot seem to get very far, as the system will not "cd" into the file directory where the drivers have been downloaded. Can some please tell me where I am going wrong? When I try to get into the drivers folder ( which is located in /home/my-name/NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run) it just keeps on saying "no such file or directory" I am using the full path of the file but it still wont let me "cd" into that directory.

ANY TAKERS OUT THERE??????

sensovision

#2 Post by sensovision »

hi ogmios!
try to loging as a root and do this:
sh /home/my-name/NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run
after this follow instructions provided by installation program.
you can also do this:
cd /home/my-name/
./NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run

PS in order to install them you'll need to install headers of the kernel(if you use some of standart kernels shipped with Debian) or had sources of your current kernel in /usr/src/linux

Hope this helps!
Denis

manny

#3 Post by manny »

Here's a longer one :wink:
You need:
1 nvidia drivers for your processor/video card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
2 kernel-source-whatever and kernel-headers-whatever, (whatever means the kernel you are using, to know which one type: uname -a it will answer something like Linux debian 2.6.8-2-686 #1 Thu May 19 17:53:30 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux. So now you are ready to get those packages, in this case it would be: kernel-source-2.6.8, so get them with synaptic or as root: apt-get install kernel-source-whatever and apt-get install kernel-headers-whatever)
3 build-essential, you can: apt-get install build-essential
4 some patience

ready? ok switch to a terminal (press control+alt+f2. login, then become root (su) (password) (enter)
now type: /etc/init.d/gdm stop
cd to the dir where you have the NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run so
type sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run so (or whatever you got) this will build it for you but make sure to answer "no" when it offers to get something from the net.
If all went well you need to edit the file XF86Config-4 located in /etc/X11/ I don't knowwhat editor you use, but you can try: nano /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 then edit the line "Section" Device" -change "nv" to "nvidia", in the Section "Module" type an "#" before GLcore and dri example: #GLcore #dri
You are done, type reboot. If all went well you should see a nvidia splash screen before the log in
If you have a problem with starting x then you can try as root: modprobe nvidia, exit, startx
This tutorial is based on a post by ToastedToad here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-46208-12.html
I tried to make it as clear as possible, i'm no expert, but hope it helps. Good luck

#4 Post by Guest »

#5 Post by Guest »

This is a bit of a rant, but why is installing drivers for the most common video card such a PITA on Debian? I understand that Debian cannot include Nvidia drivers, but I've used other distros (I'm looking at you SuSE) that would download them for you and set everything up on your first software update.

Why doesn't Debian have a similar feature?

#6 Post by Guest »

I just installed nvidia drivers today without a problem just follow that guide posted