Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cant kill proftpd

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

cant kill proftpd

#1 Post by Guest »

Hello.
I have a fresh install of sarge, ugraded to sid.
proftpd version 1.2.10-20. The problem is that after I start ftpd(in standallone mode) and its been running for some time I just cant stop it. /etc/init.d/proftpd stop doesnt do anything, force-reload just hangs there. I cant even kill the process from single user mode, kill -9/killall -9/pkill -f/slay just cant kill it. The process is NOT a zomby. It listens on a socket, I can telnet to it but it doesnt respond to any commands. Hell, I cant even do a clean shutdown/reboot because the partitions are in use and can not be unmounted.
I have experienced the same thing with my previous install with different -versions of the package, but not with the package I compile myself from vanilla 1.2.10 sources. Maybe some patch debian aplies is causing this?
Thank you for any help.

Marco666

#2 Post by Marco666 »

try
/etc/init.d/proftpd stop

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi Marco666,
thank you for reply, ofcourse I've tried it(as stated in my first post).
Stopping ProFTPD ftp daemon: . but its not stopped...