Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

URGENT...someone deleted the etc/passwd

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jodavi23

URGENT...someone deleted the etc/passwd

#1 Post by jodavi23 »

URGENT...someone deleted the etc/passwd from root and I can't restore it.

My only option seems to be using a Debian GNU\Linux 3.0 bootup disk that I don't know the commands to. I don't want to end up erasing all of the disks when I just want to mount the right drives and restore the etc/passwd and etc/shadow files.

I have already tried using Linux init=/bin/sh at LILO boot screen, but it gets me only to read-only access in root. And single user mode is only good if you have user or root access.

I have a passwd.bak and a shadow.bak in root that I can't seem to restore since I have only read-only acces.

Is there another way besides the bootup disk solution?
OR, what tutorial or commands would I use for the bootup disk?

Thank you so very much if someone has a solution to this horrible problem-Dave

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

You can remount the read-only filesystem read-write after you passed the init=/bin/sh line to LILO. Do this:

Code: Select all

mount -n -o remount,rw /
After this, you can copy your backup files.

Note, however, that nobody should be able to remove the passwd file, except root. You should really find the source of this problem...

#3 Post by Guest »

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! I didn't know that I could so easily mount the file system for write access. That is an awesome command!!! FYI, don't let the president of your son have ssh ability into the server as user. :)

oudaim

#4 Post by oudaim »

hi

you can use backup /etc/passwd_
cp /etc/passwd_ /etc/passwd

regards