Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub issue can't boot, how to report it properly?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Aramir

Grub issue can't boot, how to report it properly?

#1 Post by Aramir »

Hello,

I have a problem with grub (I assume). I'm trying to install linux, but I can't boot on UEFI. I know what you're thinking... secure boot, boot speed settings, etc etc. But please refer to the end of this post to see what I've already tried, and see my specs.
So I'm trying to install debian using DVD1 7.6.0 on a usb key (I used rufus to make the key). EDIT: I have the same problem with a version installed on my hard disk

I boot on it, I manage to get to the grub screen without any problems (I can even see the background image). But when I try to select an entry (even the "chek device" entry).
The screen turn black, my usb and dvd drive turn off, the pc freeze. There is nothing I can do, can't switch to another terminal. Totally looks like a kernel crash.
And there is absolutely no error messages whatsoever (I tried to get grub to print some without success).

BUT
I've managed to skirt the problem, using a trick I don't even totally understand.
1/ boot on the DVD/USB debian DVD1
2/ get to the grub-rescue console: and change the terminal using

Code: Select all

terminal_output console
3/ go back to the grub select the entry you want. The screen will turn back a few seconds and then go back to the grub menu
4/ go back to the grub-rescue console.(and there you'll see the only error message I ever got "error: couldn't terminate EFI services"
don't mind it and simply type boot withour any parameters whatsoever. and TADA, it boots
I suspect the optimus technology to be somewhat responsible for that.

And so I thought "Hey might as well send a bug report to debian devs". I saw the "report a bug formular" ... I can't be sure which package is reponsible for this bug, I can't send a dump, etc .... It's a mess... I don't know how to report this properly. What should I include? Help me on this one please. And of course if you have any ideas of what's hapenning, or need more information to understand what's going on. I'm ready to listen to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what I've tried/done to boot on uefi:
_ in bios: set "boot speed" to normal, deactivate "secure boot"... all the usual stuff
_ on grub rescue: change the boot command adding "nomodeset", "debug", loglevel=7, pretty much every option you can think off to get a line of log error, or desactivate eventual optimus technology's problems. Also tried to load the kernel manually, it froze right after the "boot" without printing anything.
_ checked the media device, there is no file errors on it
_ I can boot and install any linux using legacy mode without problems.
_ burn debian DVD 1 on actual DVD, it mades no difference
_ Install linux mint or ubuntu (I don't remember it was months) ago using bios legacy then convert it to uefi
_ update my bios
_ try different versions of debian and linux... I tried with the latest linux mint, debian DVD1 7.3.0, 7.6.0, ubuntu 12.04. Btw, on linux mint when I use my "trick" I don't have the "error: couldn't stop EFI services" but instead "error: overlap detected" (which sounds logical)

specs:
Toshiba L50-A-1DE PSKK6E
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ @3400Mhz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M+Intel HD Graphics 4600 (optimus technology)
6Gb Ram @800Mhz
 Windows x64 8.0 EFI installed

ps: using the grub rescue console I've got a qwerty keyboard layout, and I'm using a azerty keyboard, so it might have altered my ctrl key. Which could have prevent me of switching console, and seeing some error logs... But I doubt it
pps: I managed to install debian, and there is the same bug ( the EFI entries I add manually using efibootmgr disappear after reboot. I don't think those bug are related )
Last edited by Aramir on 2014-08-08 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

edbarx

Re: Grub issue can't boot, how to report it properly?

#2 Post by edbarx »

Aramir wrote:Toshiba L50-A-1DE PSKK6E
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ @3400Mhz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M+Intel HD Graphics 4600 (optimus technology)
6Gb Ram @800Mhz
 Windows x64 8.0 EFI installed
This looks like something is not being recognized by the kernel as your system is quite recent. If you can spare an older computer you have better chance using that instead. Otherwise, you can use the Testing branch but you have to keep in mind this is a beta version still undergoing changes and tests.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Aramir

#3 Post by Aramir »

Thanks for answering.
I had this pc for nearly a year by now (since christmas). And even then it was not the cutting edge / last generation new PC of the market.
I'd like to think, beta version would change something, but as I said it's been nearly a year by now (still I'll test it when I have free time). So if there was a problem with the kernel I think it would already be fixed, and that I shouldn't have been able to boot at all (with or without my "terminal_output console" trick on the grub console).
And about the "spare an old computer" tip, I'm a student.... so I'm pretty low on money.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

Aramir wrote:I've managed to skirt the problem, using a trick I don't even totally understand.
1/ boot on the DVD/USB debian DVD1
What is the iso file? Write concrete URL where you downloaded it.
Aramir wrote:2/ get to the grub-rescue console: and change the terminal using

terminal_output console
3/ go back to the grub select the entry you want. The screen will turn back a few seconds and then go back to the grub menu
4/ go back to the grub-rescue console.(and there you'll see the only error message I ever got "error: couldn't terminate EFI services"
don't mind it and simply type boot withour any parameters whatsoever. and TADA, it boots
If the abobe works, you may be able to solve by
1/ install grub correctly onto EFI SYSTEM PARTITION
2/ modify the grub configuration file /boot/grub/grub.cfg

First, boot without inserting DVD/USB debian DVD1 and get to grub menu. At grub menu, press c key to enter to command line.
Execute

ls
and post the result.

Second, boot debian with the above method and execute

df
and post the result.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Aramir

#5 Post by Aramir »

kiyop wrote: What is the iso file? Write concrete URL where you downloaded it.
filename : debian-7.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
MD5 : D712988553459F913BFF83CD1A320C26
downloaded from the torrent on this page http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/amd64/bt-dvd/
kiyop wrote: you may be able to solve by
1/ install grub correctly onto EFI SYSTEM PARTITION
2/ modify the grub configuration file /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Since two days I've managed to install grub correctly. Now I'm strugling with the EFI firmware. Because it doesn't find grub2.
I have to use refind to boot on grub. I tried to add entries and change the bootorder variable using efibootmgr, but modification reset after I reboot my PC.
I've heard efibootmgr doesn't work on some motherboard (jeez I must be cursed). So I'm gonna try to modify the boot entries using bcfg.
EDIT: I've managed to set grub as my default bootmanager using bcfg. Weirdly enough now grub loads the kernel without any problem from the hard disk, and I had to recreate the default windows entry. But hey it works now :D. Also, I checked my usb debian live still don't boot correctly.

About the result commands you asked.
ls from grub rescue:

(hd0) (hd1) (hd1,gpt5) (hd1,gpt4) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2)
df from debian:

filesystem                                                 1k blocs          used         free         used     mounted on
rootfs                                                     78009312          3903116      70141524     6%       /  
udev                                                       10240             0            10240        0%       /dev
tmpfs                                                      603956            760          603196       1%       /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2bca7ff2-5652-4e1b-b1c5-b2467856bd22     78009312          3905116      701414524    6%       /
tmpfs                                                      5126              0            5126         0%       /run/lock
tmpfs                                                      2379760           0            2379760      0%       /run/shm
/dev/sda1                                                  98304             26563        71741        28%      /boot/efi

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#6 Post by kiyop »

Aramir wrote:But hey it works now :D. Also, I checked my usb debian live still don't boot correctly.
Congratulations on your success in booting the installed debian!
Can you run boot-info script and post the result?
boot-info script can be downloaded at http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

What is optimus technology? Is it http://www.optimustec.com/ ? :lol:
Is it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus ?
Aramir wrote:ls from grub rescue:

(hd0) (hd1) (hd1,gpt5) (hd1,gpt4) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2)
df from debian:

filesystem                                                 1k blocs          used         free         used     mounted on
rootfs                                                     78009312          3903116      70141524     6%       /  
udev                                                       10240             0            10240        0%       /dev
tmpfs                                                      603956            760          603196       1%       /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2bca7ff2-5652-4e1b-b1c5-b2467856bd22     78009312          3905116      701414524    6%       /
tmpfs                                                      5126              0            5126         0%       /run/lock
tmpfs                                                      2379760           0            2379760      0%       /run/shm
/dev/sda1                                                  98304             26563        71741        28%      /boot/efi
Thank you for the above :)
On the booted debian, please execute the following with root privilege:

blkid
find /boot/efi
update-grub
and post the result.

Aramir

#7 Post by Aramir »

Sorry about the delay I was working, could'nt find time to answer while at home. I had to modify and recompile drivers for my ethernet and wifi card, install correct graphic drivers, fix xServer errors .... I should be done when I'll manage to get gdm3 works properly. But that's another story let's keep focus on the grub. Now that it is fixed, I can report it properly.

So here's the bootinfoscript result:

Boot Info Script 0.61      [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 
    1788066568 of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not be 
    found at this location.
 => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
    Boot sector type:  Unknown
    Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info: 
    Mounting failed:   mount : type de système de fichiers «  » inconnu

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
    Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7: NTFS
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        /bootmgr /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda4: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
    Boot sector info: 

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
    Boot sector info: 
    Mounting failed:   mount : type de système de fichiers «  » inconnu
mount : /dev/sda5 est déjà monté ou sda5 est occupé

sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
    Boot sector type:  Unknown
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /syslinux.cfg /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disque /dev/sda : 1000.2 Go, 1000204886016 octets
255 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 121601 cylindres, total 1953525168 secteurs
Unités = secteurs de 1 * 512 = 512 octets
Taille de secteur (logique / physique) : 512 octets / 4096 octets

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1                   1 1,953,525,167 1,953,525,167  ee GPT

GUID Partition Table detected.

Partition    Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
/dev/sda1           2,048       206,847       204,800 EFI System partition
/dev/sda2         206,848       468,991       262,144 Microsoft Reserved Partition (Windows)
/dev/sda3         718,848 1,783,298,047 1,782,579,200 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
/dev/sda4   1,783,298,048 1,795,016,703    11,718,656 Swap partition (Linux)
/dev/sda5   1,795,016,704 1,953,523,711   158,507,008 Data partition (Windows/Linux)

Drive: sdb _____________________________________________________________________

Disque /dev/sdb : 16.4 Go, 16358768640 octets
255 têtes, 63 secteurs/piste, 1988 cylindres, total 31950720 secteurs
Unités = secteurs de 1 * 512 = 512 octets
Taille de secteur (logique / physique) : 512 octets / 512 octets

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sdb1    *          2,048    31,950,719    31,948,672   c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/sda1        4AD7-7CDE                              vfat       SYSTEM
/dev/sda3        0488499E88498F5C                       ntfs       
/dev/sda4        8fd01b99-cab2-4bb1-8dff-3b894487c324   swap       
/dev/sda5        2bca7ff2-5652-4e1b-b1c5-b2467856bd22   ext4       
/dev/sdb1        4819-0E51                              vfat       DEBIAN 7_6_
/dev/sr0                                                udf        re4_pal

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/disk/by-uuid/2bca7ff2-5652-4e1b-b1c5-b2467856bd22 /                        ext4       (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1        /boot/efi                vfat       (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sdb1        /mnt/sdb1                vfat       (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sdb1/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=800x600
  insmod efi_gop
  insmod efi_uga
  insmod video_bochs
  insmod video_cirrus
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod png
  terminal_output gfxterm
fi

if background_image /isolinux/splash.png; then
  set color_normal=light-gray/black
  set color_highlight=white/black
else
  set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
  set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
fi
set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1
menuentry 'Install' {
    set background_color=black
    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 -- quiet 
    initrd   /install.amd/initrd.gz
}
menuentry 'Graphical install' {
    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
    initrd   /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
}
submenu 'Advanced options ...' {
    set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1
    menuentry '... Expert install' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz priority=low vga=788 -- 
    }
    menuentry '... Rescue mode' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 rescue/enable=true -- quiet 
    }
    menuentry '... Automated install' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz auto=true priority=critical vga=788 -- quiet 
    }
    menuentry '... Graphical expert install' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- 
    }
    menuentry '... Graphical rescue mode' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 rescue/enable=true -- quiet  
    }
    menuentry '... Graphical automated install' {
        linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz auto=true priority=critical video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
    }
    submenu '... Desktop environment menu ...' {
        set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1
        submenu '... KDE desktop boot menu ...' {
            set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-1
            menuentry '... Install' {
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
            menuentry '... Graphical install' {
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
            submenu '... KDE advanced options ...' {
                set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-1-1
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde priority=low vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde auto=true priority=critical vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde auto=true priority=critical video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
            }
        }
        submenu '... LXDE desktop boot menu ...' {
            set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-2
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
            submenu '... LXDE advanced options ...' {
                set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-2-1
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde priority=low vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde auto=true priority=critical vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=lxde auto=true priority=critical video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
            }
        }
        submenu '... Xfce desktop boot menu ...' {
            set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-3
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
                linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
            }
            submenu '... Xfce advanced options ...' {
                set theme=/boot/grub/theme/1-1-1-3-1
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce priority=low vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce auto=true priority=critical vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce priority=low video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- 
                }
                    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=xfce auto=true priority=critical video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 -- quiet 
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
menuentry 'Install with speech synthesis' {
    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 speakup.synth=soft -- quiet 
}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================== sdb1/syslinux.cfg: ==============================

DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
  CONFIG /isolinux/isolinux.cfg
  APPEND /isolinux/

=================== sdb1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             boot/grub/grub.cfg                             1

================= sdb1: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             syslinux.cfg                                   1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda1

00000000  eb 58 90 4d 53 44 4f 53  35 2e 30 00 02 02 fe 19  |.X.MSDOS5.0.....|
00000010  02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 08 00 00  |........?.......|
00000020  00 20 03 00 01 03 00 00  00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00  |. ..............|
00000030  01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000040  80 01 29 de 7c d7 4a 4e  4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20  |..).|.JNO NAME  |
00000050  20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20  20 20 33 c9 8e d1 bc f4  |  FAT32   3.....|
00000060  7b 8e c1 8e d9 bd 00 7c  88 56 40 88 4e 02 8a 56  |{......|.V@.N..V|
00000070  40 b4 41 bb aa 55 cd 13  72 10 81 fb 55 aa 75 0a  |@.A..U..r...U.u.|
00000080  f6 c1 01 74 05 fe 46 02  eb 2d 8a 56 40 b4 08 cd  |...t..F..-.V@...|
00000090  13 73 05 b9 ff ff 8a f1  66 0f b6 c6 40 66 0f b6  |.s......f...@f..|
000000a0  d1 80 e2 3f f7 e2 86 cd  c0 ed 06 41 66 0f b7 c9  |...?.......Af...|
000000b0  66 f7 e1 66 89 46 f8 83  7e 16 00 75 39 83 7e 2a  |f..f.F..~..u9.~*|
000000c0  00 77 33 66 8b 46 1c 66  83 c0 0c bb 00 80 b9 01  |.w3f.F.f........|
000000d0  00 e8 2c 00 e9 a8 03 a1  f8 7d 80 c4 7c 8b f0 ac  |..,......}..|...|
000000e0  84 c0 74 17 3c ff 74 09  b4 0e bb 07 00 cd 10 eb  |..t.<.t.........|
000000f0  ee a1 fa 7d eb e4 a1 7d  80 eb df 98 cd 16 cd 19  |...}...}........|
00000100  66 60 80 7e 02 00 0f 84  20 00 66 6a 00 66 50 06  |f`.~.... .fj.fP.|
00000110  53 66 68 10 00 01 00 b4  42 8a 56 40 8b f4 cd 13  |Sfh.....B.V@....|
00000120  66 58 66 58 66 58 66 58  eb 33 66 3b 46 f8 72 03  |fXfXfXfX.3f;F.r.|
00000130  f9 eb 2a 66 33 d2 66 0f  b7 4e 18 66 f7 f1 fe c2  |..*f3.f..N.f....|
00000140  8a ca 66 8b d0 66 c1 ea  10 f7 76 1a 86 d6 8a 56  |..f..f....v....V|
00000150  40 8a e8 c0 e4 06 0a cc  b8 01 02 cd 13 66 61 0f  |@............fa.|
00000160  82 74 ff 81 c3 00 02 66  40 49 75 94 c3 42 4f 4f  |.t.....f@Iu..BOO|
00000170  54 4d 47 52 20 20 20 20  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |TMGR    ........|
00000180  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
000001a0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 0d 0a 45 72  |..............Er|
000001b0  72 2e 20 64 69 73 71 75  65 ff 0d 0a 50 72 65 73  |r. disque...Pres|
000001c0  73 65 7a 20 75 6e 65 20  74 6f 75 63 68 65 20 70  |sez une touche p|
000001d0  6f 75 72 20 72 65 64 82  6d 61 72 72 65 72 0d 0a  |our red.marrer..|
000001e0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
000001f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ac 01 ba 01 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|

Unknown BootLoader on sdb1

00000000  eb 58 90 4d 53 44 4f 53  35 2e 30 00 02 10 40 06  |.X.MSDOS5.0...@.|
00000010  02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00  3f 00 ff 00 00 08 00 00  |........?.......|
00000020  80 7f e7 01 e0 3c 00 00  00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00  |.....<..........|
00000030  01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000040  80 00 29 51 0e 19 48 4e  4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20  |..)Q..HNO NAME  |
00000050  20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20  20 20 33 c9 8e d1 bc f4  |  FAT32   3.....|
00000060  7b 8e c1 8e d9 bd 00 7c  88 56 40 88 4e 02 8a 56  |{......|.V@.N..V|
00000070  40 b4 41 bb aa 55 cd 13  72 10 81 fb 55 aa 75 0a  |@.A..U..r...U.u.|
00000080  f6 c1 01 74 05 fe 46 02  eb 2d 8a 56 40 b4 08 cd  |...t..F..-.V@...|
00000090  13 73 05 b9 ff ff 8a f1  66 0f b6 c6 40 66 0f b6  |.s......f...@f..|
000000a0  d1 80 e2 3f f7 e2 86 cd  c0 ed 06 41 66 0f b7 c9  |...?.......Af...|
000000b0  66 f7 e1 66 89 46 f8 83  7e 16 00 75 39 83 7e 2a  |f..f.F..~..u9.~*|
000000c0  00 77 33 66 8b 46 1c 66  83 c0 0c bb 00 80 b9 01  |.w3f.F.f........|
000000d0  00 e8 2c 00 e9 a8 03 a1  f8 7d 80 c4 7c 8b f0 ac  |..,......}..|...|
000000e0  84 c0 74 17 3c ff 74 09  b4 0e bb 07 00 cd 10 eb  |..t.<.t.........|
000000f0  ee a1 fa 7d eb e4 a1 7d  80 eb df 98 cd 16 cd 19  |...}...}........|
00000100  66 60 80 7e 02 00 0f 84  20 00 66 6a 00 66 50 06  |f`.~.... .fj.fP.|
00000110  53 66 68 10 00 01 00 b4  42 8a 56 40 8b f4 cd 13  |Sfh.....B.V@....|
00000120  66 58 66 58 66 58 66 58  eb 33 66 3b 46 f8 72 03  |fXfXfXfX.3f;F.r.|
00000130  f9 eb 2a 66 33 d2 66 0f  b7 4e 18 66 f7 f1 fe c2  |..*f3.f..N.f....|
00000140  8a ca 66 8b d0 66 c1 ea  10 f7 76 1a 86 d6 8a 56  |..f..f....v....V|
00000150  40 8a e8 c0 e4 06 0a cc  b8 01 02 cd 13 66 61 0f  |@............fa.|
00000160  82 74 ff 81 c3 00 02 66  40 49 75 94 c3 42 4f 4f  |.t.....f@Iu..BOO|
00000170  54 4d 47 52 20 20 20 20  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |TMGR    ........|
00000180  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
000001a0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 0d 0a 45 72  |..............Er|
000001b0  72 2e 20 64 69 73 71 75  65 ff 0d 0a 50 72 65 73  |r. disque...Pres|
000001c0  73 65 7a 20 75 6e 65 20  74 6f 75 63 68 65 20 70  |sez une touche p|
000001d0  6f 75 72 20 72 65 64 82  6d 61 72 72 65 72 0d 0a  |our red.marrer..|
000001e0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
000001f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ac 01 ba 01 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdc 
Yeah there is a lot of grub entry, but I can deal with the grub.cfg later by myself.

blkid

/dev/sda4: UUID="8fd01b99-cab2-4bb1-8dff-3b894487c324" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sda3: UUID="0488499E88498F5C" TYPE="ntfs" 
/dev/sda1: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="4AD7-7CDE" TYPE="vfat" 
/dev/sda5: UUID="2bca7ff2-5652-4e1b-b1c5-b2467856bd22" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sr0: LABEL="My Disc" TYPE="iso9660" 
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="DEBIAN 7_6_" UUID="4819-0E51" TYPE="vfat" 
find /boot/efi

/boot/efi
/boot/efi/EFI
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bg-BG
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bg-BG/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bg-BG/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/boot.stl
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-CZ
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-CZ/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-CZ/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-CZ/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-DK
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-DK/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-DK/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-DK/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-DE
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-DE/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-DE/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-DE/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-GR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-GR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-GR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-GR/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-GB
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-GB/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-GB/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-ES
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-ES/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-ES/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-ES/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/et-EE
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/et-EE/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/et-EE/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-FI
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-FI/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-FI/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-FI/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-FR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-FR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-FR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-FR/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hr-HR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hr-HR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hr-HR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-HU
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-HU/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-HU/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-HU/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-IT
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-IT/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-IT/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-IT/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-JP
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-JP/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-JP/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-JP/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-KR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-KR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-KR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-KR/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lt-LT
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lt-LT/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lt-LT/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lv-LV
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lv-LV/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lv-LV/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-NO
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-NO/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-NO/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-NO/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-NL
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-NL/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-NL/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-NL/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-PL
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-PL/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-PL/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-PL/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-BR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-BR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-BR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-BR/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-PT
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-PT/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-PT/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-PT/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/qps-ploc
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/qps-ploc/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/qps-ploc/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/qps-ploc/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ro-RO
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ro-RO/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ro-RO/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-RU
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-RU/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-RU/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-RU/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sk-SK
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sk-SK/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sk-SK/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sl-SI
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sl-SI/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sl-SI/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sr-Latn-CS
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sr-Latn-CS/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sr-Latn-CS/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-SE
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-SE/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-SE/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-SE/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-TR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-TR/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-TR/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-TR/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/uk-UA
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/uk-UA/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/uk-UA/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-CN
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-CN/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-CN/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-CN/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-HK
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-HK/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-HK/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-HK/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-TW
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgfw.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-TW/bootmgr.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-TW/memtest.efi.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BOOTSTAT.DAT
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/chs_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/cht_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/jpn_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/kor_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/malgunn_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/malgun_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/meiryon_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/meiryo_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/msjhn_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/msjh_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/msyhn_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/msyh_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/segmono_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/segoen_slboot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/segoe_slboot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts/wgl4_boot.ttf
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/bootres.dll
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/fr-FR
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/fr-FR/bootres.dll.mui
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD.LOG
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD.LOG1
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD.LOG2
/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/Boot
/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/debian
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
updateGrub

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
Found Window Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
done
ps: /dev/sdb is my USB flash drive
pps: I didn't know about that one http://www.optimustec.com/ ^^

kiyop

#8 Post by kiyop »

Thank you for posting the above. :)
The bootinfoscript executed on a working debian seems unable to deal correctly the contents of the partitions mounted by debian before the bootinfoscript was executed.
Thus, the contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg in /dev/sda5 (possibly the root partition of the installed debian) is not reported, but the contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg in /dev/sdb1 is reported. Is /dev/sdb a live debian or a debian installation media?
Although your PC uses UEFI and GPT for /dev/sda, grub2 code seems installed on the MBR of the internal HDD (/dev/sda) and it was configured wrongly to search for the 1788066568 th sector (in swap partition /dev/sda4).
I wonder if wrong grub packages are installed.
Execute the following and post the results.

dpkg -l |grep grub
I do not know refind well.
Could you please write detail on how you boot the installed debian?
What is displayed when you turn on the PC?
Is grub2 menu displayed at boot?
What procedures you should do to boot the installed debian after you turn on the PC?

If you must do extraordinary steps to boot the installed debian, backing up /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi to a safe place and replacing it with /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi may do a trick. But it may corrupt the current boot.

Aramir

#9 Post by Aramir »

dpkg -l|grep grub

ii  grub-common                           1.99-27+deb7u2                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
ii  grub-efi                              1.99-27+deb7u2                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (dummy package)
ii  grub-efi-amd64                        1.99-27+deb7u2                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version)
ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin                    1.99-27+deb7u2                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 binaries)
ii  grub2-common                          1.99-27+deb7u2                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)
I think we're going off topic here, and I don't want to waste too much of your time so let me explain/remind you a couple of things:
_ on the bootinfoscript report, /dev/sdb was my "usb drive" with "debian 7.6.0 DVD" installed on it.
_ I installed grub numerous times before getting it working, so there might be some leftovers (thus the 1788066568 th sector pointer)
_ For now, grub is working fine now on my installed debian. When I turn on my pc, I've got the toshiba splash screen, then the typical grub menu,
then I select my debian and VOILA. That's all folks! Except some rare times where it still completly freeze the pc during the boot process, but it seems to be due to bad windows shutdown. Usually I just have to restart it, and it boot up fine.
_ And for now, the default grub boot method of my "debian usb key", so there is definetly something wrong with the default actions of grub on a live cd/dvd/usb. That's why I'm trying to identify, what's the wrong behavior that makes grub crashes by default on my pc, which package is guilty, and how can I report it.

Once again thank you for helping me out on this one.

ps: refind is just a tool which scan your hard disk looking for .efi files to load, it comes with a "uefi shell" filled with usefull uefi setting programs.
For a long time, grub was installed on my hard drive, but the pc refused to change the uefi boot order, and so it continued to boot up on windows boot manager (which was the default boot option). So I booted ont refind, and used the "bcfg" program to change the boot order, and set grub as the default boot option.

kiyop

#10 Post by kiyop »

Thank you for your reporting the above. grub-efi is correctly installed. Thus, the messy code on the MBR is a result (leftover) from your former wrong installation.
When you get to typical grub menu, you can press c key to enter into command line mode of grub. Then, you can use many grub commands to boot from many kinds of media including CD, DVD, and USB media.
If you cannot, you can inculde some modules into grub.
You can include by

grub> insmod MODULE_NAME
Aramir wrote:_ And for now, the default grub boot method of my "debian usb key", so there is definetly something wrong with the default actions of grub on a live cd/dvd/usb. That's why I'm trying to identify, what's the wrong behavior that makes grub crashes by default on my pc, which package is guilty, and how can I report it.
How about reporting bug at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-bugs.html ?
Aramir wrote:I thought "Hey might as well send a bug report to debian devs". I saw the "report a bug formular" ... I can't be sure which package is reponsible for this bug, I can't send a dump, etc .... It's a mess... I don't know how to report this properly. What should I include? Help me on this one please. And of course if you have any ideas of what's hapenning, or need more information to understand what's going on. I'm ready to listen to you.
How about reporting about grub-efi or debootstrap?
Aramir wrote: there is the same bug ( the EFI entries I add manually using efibootmgr disappear after reboot. I don't think those bug are related )
You can manually copy the original and the generated files to safe place, such as /home/USER_NAME. Be clever. It is faster for you to find out a workaround by yourself than making them improve packages like grub-efi by making a complaint about bugs to the developers.

M51

#11 Post by M51 »

Out of curiosity you may want to try booting with rEFInd instead of grub. Installation is just a matter of copying some files to your EFI system partition...none of the typical grub goofiness needed.

If it works, it's a grub issue.

You may find you want to stay with rEFInd. I like it better than grub, especially for multi-boot scenarios.

Aramir

#12 Post by Aramir »

Just passing by to say.

At this day (17/09/14 europe or 09/17/14 usa ) issue is now fixed in jessie version. So if you encounter this problem... try the jessie testing version.