Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installed Wheezy, no transparency

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dariusdor

Installed Wheezy, no transparency

#1 Post by dariusdor »

Until a few days ago, I was running Testing/Jessie. My desktop looked like this:
thumb: Image
pic: http://oi57.tinypic.com/24cegxj.jpg

I installed Stable/Wheezy. Now my desktop looks like this:
thumb: Image
pic: http://i59.tinypic.com/2vv6t5d.jpg

There is no longer transparency in console/term windows. I have tried three different term/console progams and they all experience the same problem. Jessie did this out-of-the-box: i did not have to change any settings. In Wheezy it fails. Does anyone know what is going on here?

note: I did not use compositing before and I am not using it at the moment. This problem has nothing to do with compositing.
The really successful criminals never break laws. They make them.

robert3242

Re: Installed Wheezy, no transparency

#2 Post by robert3242 »

One reason you have not received a response thus far may be your assertion that "This problem has nothing to do with compositing." There are many others here who are much more knowledgable about Linux in general and Debian specifically than I, but I am not aware of any window manager packaged by Debian which manages to provide transparency without compositing being involved. Since it appears you are running the Xfce DE, have you at least checked to see if compositing is enabled for xfwm (the native Xfce window manager)? You can do so by accessing the "Window Manager Tweaks" applet. If it is, and if you are not able to enable the type of transparency you referred to using that same applet (beneath the "Compositor" tab), then it is possible that your video card (or onboard video) is better supported in jessie than it is in wheezy; but since you provided no information about your hardware, that is only speculation. It is not, however, at all uncommon for one release to support a certain hardware type better than another. One release may fully support a given piece of hardware, while another may not support that same piece of hardware at all, or at best do so only partially or poorly.

Hope that helps.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8

dariusdor

#3 Post by dariusdor »

wizard10000 wrote:terminator has its own transparency settings. Right-click the terminator window, select Preferences --> Profile --> Background and you should be able to fix it.

Good luck -
Thank you for the reply. It just happens that I use Terminator. The preferences in regard to transparency are somehow ignored.

I tried the Terminal and Eterm and got the same results.

kromaz

#4 Post by kromaz »

What has worked for me is enabling display compositing in the Window Manager Tweaks. Once you have done that go ahead and make your transparency settings in console/term windows.

Debian 11.5 Bullseye Xfce
Linux Mint 21 Vanessa Xfce

dariusdor

#5 Post by dariusdor »

Thank you for the reply.

Fascinating. "disable_real_transparency" is not in the man page for Terminator. I took a peek in the config file and it was not there either.

I tried putting it in my configuration file for Terminator. No help. I tried "disable_real_transparenty = true", "disable_real_transparency = false", "disable_real_transparency = 1" and finally "disable_real_transparency". This last one resulted in losing my profiles. D'oh. Restored the config file from a backup copy.

By the way, the problem happens in gnome terminal and in Eterm also, leading one to suspect that the cause of the problem is not within a particulat terminal program.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install xcompmgr
xcompmgr &
Do you then regain your transparency?
If so, then the problem is your compositing system (built-in to xfce).
If you can't get it working, add xcompmgr to your autostart list.
deadbang

dariusdor

#7 Post by dariusdor »

Went back to Testing. Suddenly everything works again. :lol: