Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]Help with pdf viewing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
oldboy

[solved]Help with pdf viewing

#1 Post by oldboy »

I have never been able to view pdf files on line with Iceweasel. The only way I can view a pdf file is to right click and "save link as" to download it and then view it. But then I have to delete it afterwards which makes it cumbersome.

Please enlighten me how I can view it on line. I have installed flashplugin-non-free, and have installed pdf downloader 3.0.0.2 and pdf viewer 1.0.0.277. In the tools menu, I tried everything in the PDF download options, but can never view it without actually downloaded it as mentioned erlier.
Last edited by oldboy on 2014-08-24 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol:

mardybear

Re: Help with pdf viewing

#2 Post by mardybear »

Please enlighten me how I can view it on line. I have installed flashplugin-non-free, and have installed pdf downloader 3.0.0.2 and pdf viewer 1.0.0.277. In the tools menu, I tried everything in the PDF download options, but can never view it without actually downloaded it as mentioned erlier.
I prefer to use my favourite tabbed pdf viewer, qpdfview, to read pdf files. As Linux does not typically require virus checking for these files they can simply be 'opened' with your favourite software instead of 'downloaded'. I also find the built-in pdf viewer to be very cumbersome and resource heavy...but that doesn't answer your question ;)

Flash is irrelevant, don't know about pdf downloader but isn't that the opposite of what you want, not familiar with pdf viewer - is that an iceweasel add-on?

In Iceweasel, go to edit > preferences > applications. Go to pdf document and set it to your liking.

Then enter about:config as an Iceweasel URL, agree about breaking something or other and type pdf in the search box. Ensure pdfjs.disabled is false. Restart your browser and i believe you should be good to go.

Edit: forgot to add that you also shouldn't be running any add-ons that stop javascript during the pdf viewing process.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

oldboy

Re: Help with pdf viewing

#3 Post by oldboy »

Thanks. It works. This thing has been bugging me for 2 years, and I had to use Chrome. Thanks for your quick help.
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol:

mardybear

Re: [solved]Help with pdf viewing

#4 Post by mardybear »

You're very welcome...take care.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.