Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm trying to us ARPon, is my IP static or Dynamic?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MaryNerdy

I'm trying to us ARPon, is my IP static or Dynamic?

#1 Post by MaryNerdy »

I researched for hours but didn't find if my IP is static or dynamic. tried cat network and all that but it wont give me anything.

dasein

Re: I'm trying to us ARPon, is my IP static or Dynamic?

#2 Post by dasein »

Unless you pay extra, if you're talking about a residential IP address, it is almost certainly dynamic. If you have any doubt at all, follow the directions regarding whom to ask on any of the 10,000 or so hits returned by a search for

Code: Select all

h o w   t o   d e t e r m i n e   i f   m y   i p   a d d r e s s   i s   s t a t i c   o r   d y n a m i c
Speaking of which, it's truly not in your best interests to claim to have searched for "hours" when you clearly haven't. It's often blatantly obvious from the question itself whether someone has bothered to research at all. For example, if someone says, "I've researched for hours and can't find Barack Obama's middle name," it's a safe bet that they aren't being entirely truthful.

MaryNerdy

#3 Post by MaryNerdy »

dasein wrote:Unless you pay extra, if you're talking about a residential IP address, it is almost certainly dynamic. If you have any doubt at all, follow the directions regarding whom to ask on any of the 10,000 or so hits returned by a search for

Code: Select all

h o w   t o   d e t e r m i n e   i f   m y   i p   a d d r e s s   i s   s t a t i c   o r   d y n a m i c
Speaking of which, it's truly not in your best interests to claim to have searched for "hours" when you clearly haven't. It's often blatantly obvious from the question itself whether someone has bothered to research at all. For example, if someone says, "I've researched for hours and can't find Barack Obama's middle name," it's a safe bet that they aren't being entirely truthful.
:shock:
what a nasty attitude, I searched exactly that and did search for hours. It isn't in my best interest to not add you to my blacklist, let me see if I can find it in the settings.
"You cannot add administrators and moderators to your foes list."
Oh great, I should have known that someone so rude and judgemental and assuming of others would be a mod.

edit: I'm not afraid to tell the truth about how I feel, but I certainly hope I'm not banned for doing absolutely nothing wrong because I still need help please... :(

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

MaryNerdy wrote:I searched exactly that and did search for hours.
Clearly not true. (Just sayin')
MaryNerdy wrote:It isn't in my best interest to not add you to my blacklist...
Not a problem. You're now added to mine.

saulgoode

#5 Post by saulgoode »

MaryNerdy wrote:
Oh great, I should have known that someone so rude and judgemental and assuming of others would be a mod.
Dasein is not a moderator or administrator, so you should be able to add him to your "foes list". But as dasein stated, it is highly unlikely that you would have a fixed IP address without paying about $20 or more per month.

You might be able to make the determination by logging into your broadband router's setup page and searching for an item called "Reset IP address" or somesuch (indicating a dynamic IP). Failing this, your best bet is to assume you have dynamic IP.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

MaryNerdy

#6 Post by MaryNerdy »

saulgoode wrote:
MaryNerdy wrote:
Dasein is not a moderator or administrator, so you should be able to add him to your "foes list". But as dasein stated, it is highly unlikely that you would have a fixed IP address without paying about $20 or more per month.

You might be able to make the determination by logging into your broadband router's setup page and searching for an item called "Reset IP address" or somesuch (indicating a dynamic IP). Failing this, your best bet is to assume you have dynamic IP.
It might sound impossible but I went through all that, didn't find anything. thanks though, :)

MaryNerdy

#7 Post by MaryNerdy »

dasein wrote:
MaryNerdy wrote:I searched exactly that and did search for hours.
Clearly not true. (Just sayin') :P huehuehuehue
MaryNerdy wrote:It isn't in my best interest to not add you to my blacklist...
Not a problem. You're now added to mine.
I'm happy, I don't like moderators when they don't protect the forums they post on and I certainly don't like trolls.

saulgoode

#8 Post by saulgoode »

Well, any solution that you come up with for a dynamic IP will most assuredly work for a fixed IP*, so go ahead and make that assumption.

* I have a dynamic IP address but it hasn't changed for almost two years.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

MaryNerdy

#9 Post by MaryNerdy »

saulgoode wrote:Well, any solution that you come up with for a dynamic IP will most assuredly work for a fixed IP, so go ahead and make that assumption.
I'm not absolutely sure, but I will think about this some more. thanks saul. :o

mardybear

#10 Post by mardybear »

MaryNerdy you got me curious. ARPon is not something i'm knowledgable about but i agree with all the above. If this is a residential setup, they are typically dynamic. If you're using a static address then you would likely already know, as it would likely have required extra configuratoin to set up - no? Going with dynamic seems like a safe assumption.

I checked out my relevant Debian config files and couldn't find any reference to static or dynamic. I know my system's IP addresses hardly ever change, but that still doesn't confirm static or dynamic.

Thoroughly check your router settings...that's how i was able to confirm static vs dynamic.

Logging into my router, the answer was in services > advanced connections. All my local network addresses/lease types are listed as dynamic. If i wanted to configure a static connection, i also have a link called 'new static connection'. So with my particular router...dynamic is default but static is optional...and i have a way of visually confirming.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

koanhead

#11 Post by koanhead »

I researched for hours but didn't find if my IP is static or dynamic. tried cat network and all that but it wont give me anything.
  • The question makes no sense as asked. If you mean your external IP address, then no-one here can answer that for you, unless someone from your ISP happens to haunt this forum. You'd be better advised to contact your ISP directly. If you mean your localhost's IP address, then it depends on how your localhost is configured. If you don't know how to check that I'm not sure what you think ARPon will do for you.
  • You say you researched "for hours" but don't list where you looked or what you saw. The amount of time you spent is not useful information.
  • What you say you tried makes no sense.There is no `cat network` command. You could try `cat /etc/network/interfaces`. There is a man page for that file which explains its syntax and what the various lines are for.
  • "It won't give me anything" is not a useful description of an error condition. Show us the actual error or output.
If you don't like dasein's attitude, try to imagine how yours appears to the users of this forum. We're here to help people out, for free. If you want help, you need to work with us. If you waste our time then we have less time to help other people. You asked us a nonsensical question in support of a product not packaged by Debian, and you don't even appear to have read the sticky "PLEASE READ" thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47078

MaryNerdy

#12 Post by MaryNerdy »

mardybear wrote:MaryNerdy you got me curious. ARPon is not something i'm knowledgable about but i agree with all the above. If this is a residential setup, they are typically dynamic. If you're using a static address then you would likely already know, as it would likely have required extra configuratoin to set up - no? Going with dynamic seems like a safe assumption.

I checked out my relevant Debian config files and couldn't find any reference to static or dynamic. I know my system's IP addresses hardly ever change, but that still doesn't confirm static or dynamic.

Thoroughly check your router settings...that's how i was able to confirm static vs dynamic.

Logging into my router, the answer was in services > advanced connections. All my local network addresses/lease types are listed as dynamic. If i wanted to configure a static connection, i also have a link called 'new static connection'. So with my particular router...dynamic is default but static is optional...and i have a way of visually confirming.
Yea its very strange for me on my end, I'm definitely not getting the same things as you all. my router doesn't make it obvious, but the config of ARPon was easy enough to set up, then again, it gave no warning if there was actually some problem. so now I'm just safer against some different attacks I suppose?

MaryNerdy

#13 Post by MaryNerdy »

koanhead wrote:
  • The question makes no sense as asked. If you mean your external IP address, then no-one here can answer that for you, unless someone from your ISP happens to haunt this forum. You'd be better advised to contact your ISP directly. If you mean your localhost's IP address, then it depends on how your localhost is configured. If you don't know how to check that I'm not sure what you think ARPon will do for you.
  • You say you researched "for hours" but don't list where you looked or what you saw. The amount of time you spent is not useful information.
  • What you say you tried makes no sense.There is no `cat network` command. You could try `cat /etc/network/interfaces`. There is a man page for that file which explains its syntax and what the various lines are for.
(yea that be the one)
results: cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
  • "It won't give me anything" is not a useful description of an error condition. Show us the actual error or output.
If you don't like dasein's attitude, try to imagine how yours appears to the users of this forum. We're here to help people out, for free. If you want help, you need to work with us. no problem, but don't say you didn't notice some harsh undertones in daseins post, well overtones too. If you waste our time then we have less time to help other people. You asked us a nonsensical question in support of a product not packaged by Debian, and you don't even appear to have read the sticky "PLEASE READ" thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47078
HAHAHHA, I know you don't actually know MY Ip. most people have the same localhost of course, unless they'v'e tinkered with it or have a different system.

I researched all over the intenet, lots of places. google, bing, using different pronunciations and pronounciations. I wont bother you listing them all my friend.

I think many of you have made the assumption that I'm stupid. you've made yourselves really mad, and I apologize on your part.

saulgoode

#14 Post by saulgoode »

MaryNerdy wrote:I think many of you have made the assumption that I'm stupid. you've made yourselves really mad, and I apologize on your part.
Actually, you have not provided enough information to make such an assessment. For example, you did not specify whether you were interested in the nature of your computer's IP address* or your Internet broadband IP address. Or perhaps you have a unique interface to your ISP?

Since it is so easily determined that your computer itself has a dynamic address (e.g., does "ps ax|grep [d]hcpcd" produce output?), the initial responses only addressed whether your broadband IP is dynamic, which is a more difficult task dependent upon your Internet provider. Your latest comment, mentioning 'localhost', makes the latter assumption questionable, but then it would seem ARPon should not care about your local area network's address assignments.

* Even this is a misnomer (thanks Microsoft); it is actually the network interface on your computer that has an address. A computer (or other networked device) can potentially have multiple interfaces and thus multiple IP addresses.

harrycaul

#15 Post by harrycaul »

saulgoode wrote:Or perhaps you have a unique interface to your ISP?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... b1#p554887
MaryNerdy wrote:I have the usual standard setup.

koanhead

#16 Post by koanhead »

MaryNerdy wrote:
results: cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

HAHAHHA, I know you don't actually know MY Ip. most people have the same localhost of course, unless they'v'e tinkered with it or have a different system.
"localhost" is a hostname that refers to the local host, i.e. the computer you're currently logged-in to. You're talking about the loopback address, 127.0.0.1
I researched all over the intenet, lots of places. google, bing, using different pronunciations and pronounciations. I wont bother you listing them all my friend.
But you apparently didn't bother to read the local documentation, not even the manpage I mentioned. It's `man interfaces` in case you don't know how to use `apropos`.
I think many of you have made the assumption that I'm stupid. you've made yourselves really mad, and I apologize on your part.
It's not an assumption that you're stupid, it's an observation that you're lazy. Did you even bother to read the interfaces file? It's showing something pretty important.
If you want hand-holding and a customer-service attitude, then be a customer: pay someone to help you or to administer your systems for you. If you want free help, then be a member of the community. Learn the standards. Start with the link I gave you.

And drop the attitude. We don't need you to apologize for us.

MaryNerdy

#17 Post by MaryNerdy »

saulgoode wrote:
MaryNerdy wrote:I think many of you have made the assumption that I'm stupid. you've made yourselves really mad, and I apologize on your part.
Actually, you have not provided enough information to make such an assessment. For example, you did not specify whether you were interested in the nature of your computer's IP address* or your Internet broadband IP address. Or perhaps you have a unique interface to your ISP?

Since it is so easily determined that your computer itself has a dynamic address (e.g., does "ps ax|grep [d]hcpcd" produce output?), the initial responses only addressed whether your broadband IP is dynamic, which is a more difficult task dependent upon your Internet provider. Your latest comment, mentioning 'localhost', makes the latter assumption questionable, but then it would seem ARPon should not care about your local area network's address assignments.

* Even this is a misnomer (thanks Microsoft); it is actually the network interface on your computer that has an address. A computer (or other networked device) can potentially have multiple interfaces and thus multiple IP addresses.
this is alot to take in.

harrycaul wrote:
saulgoode wrote:Or perhaps you have a unique interface to your ISP?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... b1#p554887
MaryNerdy wrote:I have the usual standard setup.

are you making fun of me? :?

arid

#18 Post by arid »

LMAO! :mrgreen:

I need to come here more often.
I think many of you have made the assumption that I'm stupid.
are you making fun of me?
Since you are perceived as female, the psychology of forum involvement is set in place.

The male members will attempt to become your shining white knight of computer literacy.

It happens on all forums, on all subjects.

Remember, as abstract and anonymous as a forum may be, they are still the same male posturers you interact with in everyday real life.

You might also want to consider that information set forth on a forum, in a most pontifical presentation, may in fact, be quite inaccurate.

Your question can be answered by you learning how to access your modem/router where that information and much more is available.
There's no drama in my sid......

koanhead

#19 Post by koanhead »

arid wrote:LMAO! :mrgreen:

I need to come here more often.
It's nice that you're amused, but your response isn't especially helpful to OP or anyone else.

Since you are perceived as female, the psychology of forum involvement is set in place.

The male members will attempt to become your shining white knight of computer literacy.

It happens on all forums, on all subjects.
And yet you don't cite a single example.
Remember, as abstract and anonymous as a forum may be, they are still the same male posturers you interact with in everyday real life.
Sure, everyone on the forum knows OP in real life, and has nothing better to do than spend time answering OP's posts in a way with which you passive-agressively disapprove.
You might also want to consider that information set forth on a forum, in a most pontifical presentation, may in fact, be quite inaccurate.

Your question can be answered by you learning how to access your modem/router where that information and much more is available.
This last bit is quite true, even if it's rendered less than helpful by arid's failure to point out any such putative inaccuracies. It did remind me that I forgot to mention the `iproute2` and `ifconfig` commands, which list the IP addresses of the local interfaces.

MaryNerdy

#20 Post by MaryNerdy »

I still don't know what to do. at all. while I appreciate the attention, I don't really appreciate the attention... :? some of you have been helpful and I thank you for that, but most of you have wasted so much effort, massive paragraph sized comment after comment trying to tell me how I'm wrong for so many different reasons.

can we just accept the fact that I don't know as much as you do? you know debian better than me, so not to sound lazy or anything, But can you give me a small list of step by step instructions so that I can solve my problem please? we all know I'm not figuring this out unless you tell me exactly what to do and in what order... I'm sure it will be easier and shorter of a comment than all the others. :?