Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Testing takes ages to boot because of networking.service

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
haxi

Testing takes ages to boot because of networking.service

#1 Post by haxi »

Hi there.

I installed a fresh debian testing on my new Thinkpad T430. Everything is up2date.
It's installed on a dualboot SSD. Windows takes 20s to boot, but debian testing takes approx 2mins.

I've been searching around the internets for a week now, and I found the problem but I can't find any fix...

Seems like networking.service takes ages to init:

Code: Select all

root@home:/home/leo# systemd-analyze blame
    1min 21.360s networking.service
         10.244s exim4.service
           363ms user@1000.service
           341ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-cc02b2b8\x2dbffa\x2d4c47\x2db7ff\x2dbcbce6fa2a9c.service
           304ms wicd.service
           256ms kbd.service
           170ms NetworkManager.service
           166ms ModemManager.service
           127ms systemd-fsck-root.service
           110ms bluetooth.service
           104ms systemd-logind.service
           103ms avahi-daemon.service
It's funny because I'm also experiencing wifi connection issues.
I can hardly connect my university's wifi (no matter secured network or not) using wicd... But I can easily connect to my home's secured wifi.
I found a WTF workaround for connecting @ uni: I enable portable hotspot on my phone, I connect my computer to it (it works), then disconnect it and try to connect to uni's wifi, it often fix the problem... Seems legit huh ?

When I look up the wicd log, there are no errors shown, only a lot of "DHCPDISCOVERS" and a final "No DHCPOFFERS".
I tried connecting the manual way (using /etc/network/interfaces and ifup) to those wifi networks, same strange things happen.

Wireless card :

03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
Here's my /var/log/messages: http://pastebin.com/9jaFksLH

my /etc/network/interfaces :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Do anyone has an idea ?
Thanks in advance.

M51

Re: Testing takes ages to boot because of networking.service

#2 Post by M51 »

I don't know. I've seen similar on wired ethernet connections. It doesn't take nearly as long on wired, but certainly longer than it should.

It's systemd, so the fix is probably to sacrifice a goat to Lennart Poettering.

Sorry I can't help. I'm in the process of replacing Debian with Gentoo to make it easier to avoid this crapware.