Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with terminal

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
oldboy

Problem with terminal

#1 Post by oldboy »

I am on testing 3.16-2-amd64. Using gnome desktop, I canot open a terminal, or root terminal. When I open synaptic package manager, it took almost a minute to read state information. This happened after I did update and upgrade. I am using gnome system default. If I go back to xfce, everything is ok. Any ideas?
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia :lol:

andre@home

Re: Problem with terminal

#2 Post by andre@home »

Maybe clean it? And then rerun synaptic PM.

Code: Select all

apt-get clean
rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Upgrade only when you need it.

oldboy

#3 Post by oldboy »

Thanks. But, no change. In fact gnome has been broken for me for a few months. I have been using xfce. But after my upfate/upgrade I tried gnome again and it seemed to work, except for the problem with terminals. When I tried to open the terminal, the wait symbol comes on a 15 sec, and then nothing happens.

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

Is this just the gnome terminals? What happens if you use the xfce terminals or xterm?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

oldboy

#5 Post by oldboy »

Yes, this is the terminal in gnome desktop. But, the root terminal works fine. There is about one minute delay for the synaptic package manager to load the list. Everything else works fine.
I do not have this problem in xfce destop.

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

Presuming from what evidence you have given me, it could be a bug as you are using a testing system. What do the error messages tell you when you run it? If other terminals work use those for the time being.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀