Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Running BCM Wimax Modem in Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Running BCM Wimax Modem in Debian

#1 Post by Sajjad Kabir Joy »

To make a long story short, in order to use my USB Wimax modem (WU216), I need to have bcm_wimax.ko, but I didn't find it in any of the kernels provided for Debian (Wheezy or Jessie)... I have the connection manager, but the kernel won't recognise the modem. I attempted to build the kernel from source to have the bcm_wimax driver, but, due to my inexperience, did not succeed.
My questions are:
1. I have noticed that generic kernels (for example 3.13.0-45-generic) have this bcm_wimax driver. Is there any easy way in which I can install a generic kernel in Debian, or any kernel that'd run my modem?
2. If no, what are the wisest steps to build the kernel to include the bcm_wimax driver?
3. Are there any driver provided by Debian which can handle my Banglalion Wimax (WU216) USB modem?

squeeze

Re: Running BCM Wimax Modem in Debian

#2 Post by squeeze »

Good News: The liquorix kernel supports the driver bcm_wimax.ko: http://liquorix.net/
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

And we have Wheezy-compatible rebuilds of the Liquorix kernels in the MEPIS community repo:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... -liquorix/

You can install the regular Liquorix kernel on Wheezy, but not the header packages, since they have a hard dependency on an upstream gcc.

Note that the packages with the shorter names are kernel metapackages, when installed and the repository is enabled, they handle kernel upgrades between versions, such as 3.17 to 3.18. As always, retain a known working kernel as a backup boot option.

You can always rebuild the kernel yourself from the source packages in there using the Debian packaging tools. It's actually much simpler than manually configuring the kernel, too.

I see I have the driver at /lib/modules/3.18-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64/kernel/drivers/staging/bcm/bcm_wimax.ko Staging drivers are considered not quite ready for prime time, which is why Debian does not enable them.
MX Linux packager and developer

Sajjad Kabir Joy

#4 Post by Sajjad Kabir Joy »

Thank you... I'll look into installing the Liquorix kernel, and come back here for help when things go wrong :)