Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Accidentally uninstalled everything?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
readre

Accidentally uninstalled everything?

#1 Post by readre »

Hi,

I may have accidentally uninstalled everything on my Debian (dual boot, currently writing this from the Windows partition).

So this happened:
I really needed glibc version 2.15 for a specific program (and as you know, Debian stable only has up to 2.13), so I followed this guide (http://stackoverflow.com/a/19671443) to make it work. In other words, I:

- stopped the gui
- added sid to /etc/init.d/sources.list
- apt-get update
- and then this command: apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd64 libc6-dev libc6-dbg

It took a while, so I left my computer (and didn't see what it was doing). When I came back and it had finished, I removed the sid line from /etc/init.d/sources.list and rebooted.
It rebooted without the graphical user interface, in pure commandline mode. All my files seem to be intact, but I can't run any program, they're simply not installed. I *can* install programs, but most of the times I lack a number of other uninstalled dependencies. In short, it seems like everything has been uninstalled. I have no idea how this could have happened from the above update.

Is there any way to get back to how it was? And if not, how do I even go from here to reinstall everything?
Thanks!

1of12

Re: Accidentally uninstalled everything?

#2 Post by 1of12 »

readre wrote:I really needed glibc version 2.15 for a specific program (and as you know, Debian stable only has up to 2.13), so I followed this guide (http://stackoverflow.com/a/19671443) to make it work
Which is in fact a clusterfuck of terrible advice. You do not mess with your libc unless you want a broken system. At this stage your best bet is to reinstall and don't do this again. If you need a newer glibc then Debian wheezy is not for you.

Installing from the Debian sid repository would actually have installed glibc 2.19

At this point you could try setting your repositories to follow Debian jessie (the next stable release) and perform a dist-upgrade - if possible.

Or install something else more suitable.

readre

#3 Post by readre »

1of12 wrote:
readre wrote:I really needed glibc version 2.15 for a specific program (and as you know, Debian stable only has up to 2.13), so I followed this guide (http://stackoverflow.com/a/19671443) to make it work
Which is in fact a clusterfuck of terrible advice.
I suspected as much :)
You do not mess with your libc unless you want a broken system. At this stage your best bet is to reinstall and don't do this again. If you need a newer glibc then Debian wheezy is not for you.

Installing from the Debian sid repository would actually have installed glibc 2.19

At this point you could try setting your repositories to follow Debian jessie (the next stable release) and perform a dist-upgrade - if possible.

Okay, I will probably go for jessie then. Is it just a matter of
- changing wheezy to testing in /etc/apt/sources.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade
?

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

readre wrote:Hi,

I may have accidentally uninstalled everything on my Debian (dual boot, currently writing this from the Windows partition).
I have to be blunt here. It probably was not intentional on your part but lacking knowledge before taking action is no excuse, especially with ignorance and no research done about it. If you browsed this forum, you would've seen plenty of sob stories on how upgrading glibc destroyed their valued systems.
readre wrote:So this happened:
I really needed glibc version 2.15 for a specific program (and as you know, Debian stable only has up to 2.13), so I followed this guide (http://stackoverflow.com/a/19671443) to make it work. In other words, I:

- stopped the gui
- apt-get update

It took a while, so I left my computer (and didn't see what it was doing). When I came back and it had finished, I removed the sid line from /etc/init.d/sources.list and rebooted.
It rebooted without the graphical user interface, in pure commandline mode. All my files seem to be intact, but I can't run any program, they're simply not installed. I *can* install programs, but most of the times I lack a number of other uninstalled dependencies. In short, it seems like everything has been uninstalled.
Never trust these guides, they are written by imbeciles and obviously never understood how Debian works. Also NEVER change anything you do not fully understand.
readre wrote: I have no idea how this could have happened from the above update.
Because you did no research on the results that would follow. The number 1 rule of Linux (or all OS's even) is never touch or change anything when you do not know the consequences! Because this happens.

Your system is now in a state where it could be fixable. But it would take a lot of time and tedious work to get it back to the way it was (unless you backed up your entire root drive with clonezilla or dd). The quickest and easiest way of resolving this issue is to reinstall Debian and promise yourself and your system that you will never touch the sources.list again until you understand how it and Debian works.

If you want a more up to date glibc then I would recommend waiting for Debian testing to turn stable or use a different distribution like Ubuntu/ Mint/ openSUSE or Fedora.
readre wrote:Is there any way to get back to how it was?
See above
readre wrote:how do I even go from here to reinstall everything?
Thanks!
Install Debian like you have done before and overwrite the root partition with the installer, if you created a separate home partition you will not need to touch it.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2015-02-24 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

readre wrote: I suspected as much :)
Please learn from this, you will being not yourself a favour but other people too.

readre wrote:
You do not mess with your libc unless you want a broken system. At this stage your best bet is to reinstall and don't do this again. If you need a newer glibc then Debian wheezy is not for you.

readre wrote:I
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade
?
You could do that, but you will still have a half broken system/ uninstalled system. If you want to install testing, either:
Do minimal stable install then upgrade to jessie
or
Download the testing installers from Debians website.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

readre

#6 Post by readre »

Ardouos wrote:
readre wrote:Hi,

I have to be blunt here. It seems pretty intentional to me, especially with ignorance and no research done about it. If you browsed this forum, you would've seen plenty of sob stories on how upgrading glibc destroyed their valued systems.
readre wrote:So this happened:

- stopped the gui
- apt-get update

It rebooted without the graphical user interface, in pure commandline mode. All my files seem to be intact, but I can't run any program, they're simply not installed. I *can* install programs, but most of the times I lack a number of other uninstalled dependencies. In short, it seems like everything has been uninstalled.
Never trust these guides, they are written by imbeciles and obviously never understood how Debian works. Also NEVER change anything you do not fully understand.
readre wrote: I have no idea how this could have happened from the above update.
Because you did no research on the results that would follow. The number 1 rule of Linux (or all OS's even) is never touch or change anything when you do not know the consequences! Because this happens.
I think my punishment speaks for itself here! I guarantee it was not intentional, some people are just that stupid :)

Your system is now in a state where it could be fixable. But it would take a lot of time and tedious work to get it back to the way it was (unless you backed up your entire root drive with clonezilla or dd). The quickest and easiest way of resolving this issue is to reinstall Debian and promise yourself and your system that you will never touch the sources.list again until you understand how it and Debian works.

If you want a more up to date glibc then I would recommend waiting for Debian testing to turn stable or use a different distribution like Ubuntu/ Mint/ openSUSE or Fedora.
readre wrote:Is there any way to get back to how it was?
See above
readre wrote:how do I even go from here to reinstall everything?
Thanks!
Install Debian like you have done before and overwrite the root partition with the installer, if you created a separate home partition you will not need to touch it.
Okay. Feel free to refer to this thread if someone asks how to update glibc on Wheezy :)

readre

#7 Post by readre »

Ardouos wrote:
readre wrote: I suspected as much :)
Please learn from this, you will being not yourself a favour but other people too.
Yes, perhaps I can save some other poor soul at some point ...
readre wrote:

readre wrote:I
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade
?
You could do that, but you will still have a half broken system/ uninstalled system. If you want to install testing, either:
Do minimal stable install then upgrade to jessie
or
Download the testing installers from Debians website.
Well, that's my only option (besides getting sid!) if I want to have glibc 2.15+ on Debian, right?

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Well, that's my only option (besides getting sid!) if I want to have glibc 2.15+ on Debian, right?
Nope, see the backport below. Nobody has reported any damage to their system using it.

Which program needed the newer libc6? There are workarounds for some to work with Wheezy, notably Steam.

Also, a backported libc6 is safe to use, not an upstream one, several users here reported success with the one I did for the Wheezy-based MEPIS 12. See this thread:

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 88&t=37022

Steve (thinking of backporting Jessie's libc6 2.19)

Here's a guide to avoiding other common ways that users break Debian stable: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
MX Linux packager and developer

readre

#9 Post by readre »

stevepusser wrote:
Nope, see the backport below. Nobody has reported any damage to their system using it.
I'm a bit wary of taking advice from stranger on the internet, you understand ...
Just kidding, I'm going to think about whether I should install a completely new system or what.
Which program needed the newer libc6? There are workarounds for some to work with Wheezy, notably Steam.
Nothing exciting I'm afraid. It's an open source programming library. The best workaround would be to, well, use another one, but that's not really my decision at this point.
Also, a backported libc6 is safe to use, not an upstream one, several users here reported success with the one I did for the Wheezy-based MEPIS 12. See this thread:

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 88&t=37022

Steve (thinking of backporting Jessie's libc6 2.19)

Here's a guide to avoiding other common ways that users break Debian stable: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Thanks for the link!

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

There's also the possibilty of backporting the library in question so it does work on Wheezy, as long as it does not depend on something like a newer GTK 3 or KDE than is available in Wheezy. If built against Wheezy's libc6, then it will work with Wheezy's libc6. That's the whole point of backporting. Is it in a Debian or Ubuntu repository someplace?

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

readre wrote:Feel free to refer to this thread if someone asks how to update glibc on Wheezy :)
[snip]
The thing is that the poor souls (you, for instance) wouldn't bother to read it "if" it existed--because it does.

Not only are there dozens of existing threads on this exact topic, but there's even an existing thread (created by me) that collects all those cautionary examples into a single place. I've just added your story to the list of examples, for all the good it will do.

The problem is not lack of information. The problem is people who are too lazy or impatient to read.

readre

#12 Post by readre »

stevepusser wrote:There's also the possibilty of backporting the library in question so it does work on Wheezy, as long as it does not depend on something like a newer GTK 3 or KDE than is available in Wheezy. If built against Wheezy's libc6, then it will work with Wheezy's libc6. That's the whole point of backporting. Is it in a Debian or Ubuntu repository someplace?
I don't know which part of it uses libc6, it just failed due to not being able to locate GLIBC version 2.15.
It is this one: https://packages.qa.debian.org/o/opencv.html
(I need 2.4.9, which it *does* say is for Debian testing)

readre

#13 Post by readre »

dasein wrote:
readre wrote:Feel free to refer to this thread if someone asks how to update glibc on Wheezy :)
[snip]
The thing is that the poor souls (you, for instance) wouldn't bother to read it "if" it existed--because it does.

Not only are there dozens of existing threads on this exact topic, but there's even an existing thread (created by me) that collects all those cautionary examples into a single place. I've just added your story to the list of examples, for all the good it will do.

The problem is not lack of information. The problem is people who are too lazy or impatient to read.
No doubt, people will always try to find the fastest solution; especially if others report it to be working.

I was thinking more along the lines of "if I hear someone mention this in passing, I will dramatically yell 'nooooo' and tackle them to the ground".

Edit: I just looked through your thread and saw your link to mine:
"If only there were information warning people not to do this!!": http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120632 :roll:
That's not really fair, is it? I've not complained about lacking information. I simply asked if I could do something about it and received good and informational answers. I admitted I was being stupid.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

OK. I remember doing a successful test backport of openCV 2.4.9 to Wheezy, so it should not be difficult. When you rebuild from the source code, the Debian build system automatically checks for the minimum version of libc6 needed, so a backport would only require the Wheezy libc6. Do you need i386 or amd64 packages? Or you could try it yourself: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

Note: Some packages take a lot more tweaking to create a successful backport!

readre

#15 Post by readre »

stevepusser wrote:OK. I remember doing a successful test backport of openCV 2.4.9 to Wheezy, so it should not be difficult. When you rebuild from the source code, the Debian build system automatically checks for the minimum version of libc6 needed, so a backport would only require the Wheezy libc6. Do you need i386 or amd64 packages? Or you could try it yourself: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

Note: Some packages take a lot more tweaking to create a successful backport!
Thanks, I'll read the page.
It might not be difficult to do for the people who frequent these forums, but as a person who just wiped their system, I'm currently not feeling too confident in my abilities.

Right now, I'll focus on getting my system up and running, I'll try to solve the original problem afterwards. Thanks again!

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

I'm also not some random person, I think I've built up a reasonably good reputation here as someone that generally knows what they are talking about. Plus I've managed to do the great majority of backports found here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/

Your issue is exactly why the official wheezy-backports repository exists. http://www.backports.org You could request a backport of 2.4.9 on their mailing list: https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/

Though I or yourself would be much faster in creating the packages.

Edit: I would backport it against the version of libav in wheezy-backports, though. Plus the build-dependencies are hefty, so it's a big download if you have a slow Net connection.

Are you going to be developing against this library, or just have a program that requires it?

Edit: Opencv 2.4.9 needs this line added to the first section in the debian/control file

Code: Select all

X-Python-Version: 2.7
This tells it to only try to create and install python2.7 versions, apparently python2.6 in Wheezy is too old. That is another reason the upstream version probably would not work even with a newer libc6, because of the python differences.

BowCatShot

#17 Post by BowCatShot »

Don't let these asses get to you. Every one of us has pulled a blunder like this at least once in our careers.

I've learned to always backup my system with clonezilla before doing any updates or installs. I keep my system
on a single partition just so that I can do this. Takes longer to do things this way but sure makes it easier to fix screwups.

1of12

#18 Post by 1of12 »

BowCatShot wrote:Don't let these asses get to you. Every one of us has pulled a blunder like this at least once in our careers.
+1

You've accepted your fault and have the right attitude so don't be deterred by negativity.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

I did backport i386 and amd64, plus the architecture-independent packages against wheezy and wheezy-backports libraries. They are labeled as mepis builds, since they take quite a while, and I may send them up to our repo.

Needed: the basic knowledge of how to install standalone deb packages, and which ones you may or may not need (doc, dbg, and -dev packages)

https://copy.com/QszX19FxFluVDD2z