Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Incorrect password ...try again

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mzsade

[SOLVED] Incorrect password ...try again

#1 Post by mzsade »

Code: Select all

:~$ su
Password:    #Typed user password 
su: Authentication failure 
~$ su
Password:      #Typed root password
su: Authentication failure
:~$ sudo su 
[sudo] password for m: #Typed user password
i:~# mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list

(mousepad:1299): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.22YF1X': No such file or directory

(mousepad:1299): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(mousepad:1299): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.R5CJ1X': No such file or directory

(mousepad:1299): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
The file does open but with a warning in red saying i could harm my system
Had almost got everything configured just as like it, tried adding a custom action (open as administrator) to Thunar and my house of cards collapsed around me. :cry:

Debian 8 xfce, single user account, passwords and user names are single characters so it's a given there's no typing error.

Edit1:

:~# cd ..
:/home# cd ..
:/# mkdir -p /root/.local/share/
:/# touch /root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
:/# exit
exit
:~$ gksu mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list
Got another window prompting me for password, gave "Incorrect password...try again"
Last edited by mzsade on 2015-07-01 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Incorrect password ...try again (Authentication Failure)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

What is the output of:

sudo cat /etc/shadow | grep root
Try this:

sudo passwd root
To reset your root password.
deadbang

mzsade

[SOLVED] Re: Incorrect password ...try again

#3 Post by mzsade »

You were right to suspect i am a jackass and must have forgotten to set Allow root login during installation,
"cat: /etc/shadow: No such file or directory". Not a problem, shrank the home partition and did it right on another partition, did 'usermod -a -G sudo <username>' so that's not the issue on this new install, No more GTK /root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel warnings either after i implemented the fix i quoted before, but..
1) i still get that scary red warning (You are logged in as root, this may harm your system) on my text editor whenever i gksu mousepad or sudo mousepad anything.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008