[SOLVED] Error during installation of medit

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[SOLVED] Error during installation of medit

Postby niles_m » 2015-10-13 09:52

Hi

I am trying to install medit (http://www.ann.jussieu.fr/frey/software.html), a tool for mesh visualization. When I execute the makefile, I get the error

Code: Select all
cc -o medit-2.3-linuxCC -s -static-libgcc ./objects/*.o /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXext -lX11 -lm
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.a(libglut_la-freeglut_gamemode.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XF86VidModeGetViewPort'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

I tried searching for "undefined reference to symbol 'XF86VidModeGetViewPort'", and it seems to be related to glut. I installed freeglut3 and freeglut3-dev from synaptic, but it didnøt solve the issue, I would be very happy to hear if someone knows of it.

Thanks in advance,
Niles.
Last edited by niles_m on 2015-10-13 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
niles_m

Re: Error during installation of medit

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-10-13 10:57

I wouldn't have tried installing anything from that site, I can't find anything for any instructions or support , on that software,..

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't 'make install'
It's quite easy to compile software from source code tarballs downloaded from the software's website, but not always so easy to remove it later. Often the instructions that come with the source code include instructions to use commands like ./configure && make && make install.
When you install software this way, you will not be able to remove it with apt-get or Synaptic. The APT packaging system can only remove software that was installed by the APT packaging system. Even worse, software installed this way can sometimes conflict with the software packaged for Debian.

Software installed this way also does not benefit from security updates the way that Debian packages do. If you want to keep your system up to date without having to manually compile and reinstall for every update, stick to the Debian packages.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2015-10-13 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
GarryRicketson

Re: Error during installation of medit

Postby niles_m » 2015-10-13 11:08

Thanks. I agree with you, but the tool is needed for work... otherwise I wouldn't install it.

Anyway, I solved the issue by making a change in the makefile, change "ligblut.a" to "libglut.so"
niles_m

Re: [SOLVED] Error during installation of medit

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-10-13 12:20

niles_m wrote:Thanks. I agree with you, but the tool is needed for work... otherwise I wouldn't install it.

Anyway, I solved the issue by making a change in the makefile, change "ligblut.a" to "libglut.so"

Ok, thanks, yes that sometimes is the case, when the the software is not available in the repositories, glad to see you know enough about what you are doing to have been able to figure it out, and thanks for marking it as "solved", it may be of help to someone else in the future.
GarryRicketson

Return to General Questions