Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

solved: I can't mount a partition on sda

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Leon8200

Re: I can't mount a partition on sda

#16 Post by Leon8200 »

thank you everyone for your time and help I really appreciate it, but I'm not getting anywhere with this, I just don't have countless hour's to sit and read, debian is a very old and still being developed OS, in all of it's year's of development it should "JUST WORK" the way all other linux OS"s after it "JUST WORK",

time is money and debian made my wallet cry like a b****, just not worth the price to pay really

Ardouos

#17 Post by Ardouos »

@Leon8200

Was thunar mounting your drives before without any issues?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Leon8200

#18 Post by Leon8200 »

Ardouos wrote:@Leon8200

Was thunar mounting your drives before without any issues?
actually I just installed debian and have never used it before

cgmcgm

#19 Post by cgmcgm »

Starting to understand a bit better dasein lol
Leon8200 wrote:I just don't have countless hour's to sit and read
I think it is pretty clear from the beginning Debian is not that user-friendly mate, I'd help more if I could but am I noob myself too so if you don't have the time to sit and read and try stuff I would strongly advise you to install Ubuntu instead, it's basically exactly the same as Debian aside it comes with a lot of pre-installed stuff to avoid you having to roll up your sleeves too much. :P
System: Host: debian Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.8.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire VN7-571G v: V1.14 Bios: Insyde v: V1.14 date: 01/08/2015

Leon8200

#20 Post by Leon8200 »

cgmcgm wrote:Starting to understand a bit better dasein lol
Leon8200 wrote:I just don't have countless hour's to sit and read
I think it is pretty clear from the beginning Debian is not that user-friendly mate, I'd help more if I could but am I noob myself too so if you don't have the time to sit and read and try stuff I would strongly advise you to install Ubuntu instead, it's basically exactly the same as Debian aside it comes with a lot of pre-installed stuff to avoid you having to roll up your sleeves too much. :P
I really do luv linux it's just that running into a problem that takes more than 4 hour's of my time really frustrates me.
I pulled the plug on XP-SP3 back in November 2015 and started testing different linux OS's, so far I have good experience with
puppy, dsl, sli taz, mint with mate, cinimon, and xfce ranging from versions 13, 17.2, and 17.3, bodhi, lubuntu, peppermint, and just got debian installed as my default OS with a side of peppermint 6 :mrgreen:

if I can just get this issue fixed I might just use debian from now on, I see it uses only 90 MB of RAM at boot and that is 6 MB less than peppermint 6 on top of that I like the way I got it setup, my apps, desktop, and everything, I really would like to see debian as my default OS :P

Ardouos

#21 Post by Ardouos »

Can you please post the output of:

Code: Select all

$ lsblk
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Leon8200

#22 Post by Leon8200 »

Ardouos wrote:Can you please post the output of:

$ lsblk
I entered Isblk, apparently it's not installed on the system "bash: isblk: command not found", I tried to apt-get it and it's not in the repo either I even updated my system and it still can't find that package

GarryRicketson

#23 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Leon8200 » "bash: isblk: command not found",
There is no such thing as "isblk", pay more attention to how you type your commands.
it is :

lsblk
see:

man lsblk

for more details,..and

l 
is the lower case version of L, all linux commands are case sensitive. isblk is not the same as lsbk.
Ardouos wrote:Can you please post the output of:

$ lsblk 

Leon8200

#24 Post by Leon8200 »

root@THINKCENTRE-A52:/mnt# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 74.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 40G 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 30G 0 part /mnt
├─sda3 8:3 0 512M 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda4 8:4 0 4G 0 part /
sdb 8:16 0 37.3G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 669M 0 part
root@THINKCENTRE-A52:/mnt#

GarryRicketson

#25 Post by GarryRicketson »

It would help if you also use code boxes, Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
-----------
But anyway, it looks like it is mounted. As suggested all ready, look at :

man mount
To explain more, "man" is the command for the manual. You type in the word "man" followed with the command or program name, and that will get you a detailed manual on using the command. Also "help" and

man -k mount
see

man man

-------------
Can you show us exactly how you are trying to mount it ? What exactly you type?
Here is a example:
Lets say you want to mount the one on sdb
sdb 8:16 0 37.3G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 669M 0 part
I usually make a directory for the device,or drive :

cd /mnt
mkdir usb 
Here as you can see, I have no directories yet , in my /mnt dir:

/$ cd mnt 
garry@debian:/mnt$ ls
garry@debian:/mnt$ 
So I type :

# mkdir USB 
note: the # is not to be typed in, the #indicates that the command must be done as root.
Here, you can see, first I swith over to being root, using "su".

garry@debian:/mnt$ su
Password: 
root@debian:/mnt# mkdir USB 
root@debian:/mnt# ls
USB
root@debian:/mnt# 

and I use mkdir to make a directory called USB.
Now, I use :

lsblk
to see what drives I have and which one I want to mount:
Also note, I exited "root" and am back to being a normal user. That is what the $ means.

garry@debian:/mnt$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 698.7G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   100M  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0  34.2G  0 part 
├─sda3   8:3    0  34.4G  0 part 
└─sda4   8:4    0   630G  0 part /
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0 337.3G  0 part /media/usb0
├─sdb2   8:18   0     1K  0 part 
├─sdb3   8:19   0  50.7G  0 part /media/rootMX
├─sdb4   8:20   0  34.2G  0 part /media/44d5a5e7-87ac-45dc-bb3a-7ea83d67c4
├─sdb5   8:21   0    39G  0 part /media/502a8cb6-bd77-4a3f-a041-3c26306d84
└─sdb6   8:22   0   4.7G  0 part 

You must be root when you mount the drive.
So I want to mount sdb2, (for example):
First I use "su",and become root again, or if you have it "sudo" (I do not use that)

# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/USB
You may be prompted and asked to specify the file type, and then there is more still that is detailed in the manual , or also the links shown previously. This is just a basic example to start with.
---------------------------
This is one more example , where I mounted "sda3"

/mnt# mount  /dev/sda3 /mnt/USB
root@debian:/mnt# ls
USB
root@debian:/mnt# cd USB
root@debian:/mnt/USB# ls
bin   dev  home  lost+found  mnt  proc	run   selinux  tmp  var
boot  etc  lib	 media	     opt  root	sbin  sys      usr
root@debian:/mnt/USB# 
There really is kind of a lot of details to mounting devices and drives, it all depends on what the file system is, and other things, there are many tutorials and explanations availabel:
How to mount drives and devices on a debian system
---------------------------------------
https://wiki.debian.org/fstab
--------------------------------------
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... e-in-linux
--------------------
These are a couple, but there are more. Even though you don't have time or don't want to read anything, that is what you are going to need to do, find the time, and read. Or find someone that can do it for you.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-02-02 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Leon8200

#26 Post by Leon8200 »

I'm trying to mount/access the partition by clicking on it's icon in the thunar file manger, it's an icon that says "43 GB Volume"
and it gives the error "Failed to mount "43 GB Volume Not authorized to perform operation."
I get the same error if I click on it's icon on the desktop

dasein

#27 Post by dasein »

Leon8200 wrote:...a problem that takes more than 4 hour's of my time really frustrates me.
[snip]
I really would like to see debian as my default OS :P
No, you really don't. Debian is not about OOB ease-of-use. It never has been, never will be, and it doesn't pretend otherwise. You might as well be complaining that Linux From Scratch requires compiling software from source.

If time spent learning the finer points of Linux strikes you as an unnecessary waste (a perfectly valid POV), then you want Mint, not Debian. But you have already pole-vaulted from genuine question to mere trolling.

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

I'm trying to mount/access the partition by clicking on it's icon in the thunar file manger
Oops! sorry,
I really don't know how to do it using "thunar" and icons, I usually just use the CLI,
I think you need to have "root thunar" installed as well, I do not use XFCE ,and have no clue as to mounting drives and devices using a GUI,.. sorry

You still need to be root to mount anything,and I have seen a "root thunar" option, on XFCE, but am not familiar at all with that.

Leon8200

#29 Post by Leon8200 »

in other OS's using XFCE, in order to gain access to a HDD or HDD's partition's I would run

gksudo thunar
thunar would be launched as root then I would be able to access the drive or partition's "permissions" tab and make that drive or partition accessible

cgmcgm

#30 Post by cgmcgm »

Try to always do things using the Terminal, is such power.

Did you try to follow GarryRicketson's examples?

Also you say you use XFCE, maybe try this: http://gr8idea.info/os/tutorials/debian-xfce/mount.html

Cheers
Last edited by cgmcgm on 2016-02-02 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
System: Host: debian Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.8.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire VN7-571G v: V1.14 Bios: Insyde v: V1.14 date: 01/08/2015

GarryRicketson

#31 Post by GarryRicketson »

in other OS's using XFCE
The first thing to do is forget this, Debian is not "other OS's,

That should work, but I don't think "gksudo" comes with Debian 8 as a default program, you probably need to install it.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... e-8-1-xfce
But like I said , I don't really know on this, I have never used these things like gksudo,sudo,etc,.. that is mostly junk that comes with "other OS's" and gnome, ubuntu, etc. I think you may have to install and set up your "sudo" account as well.
I strongly recommend reading the documentation on Debian.

cgmcgm

#32 Post by cgmcgm »

@Leon8200

Be sure you didn't miss my last post in previous page, I'm pretty sure your problem can be solved easily now, try the procedures and use Terminal, let know if it works.

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Leon8200 wrote:I'm trying to mount/access the partition by clicking on it's icon in the thunar file manger, it's an icon that says "43 GB Volume"
and it gives the error "Failed to mount "43 GB Volume Not authorized to perform operation."
I'm surprised that the XFCE desktop doesn't allow thunar to mount the drive without a password but I presume it's a security decision.

You can loosen the polkit permissions in your system to allow your normal user to mount devices by creating a file at /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.automount.pkla (as root!) with the following content:

[Allow Unauthorized mounting/Unmounting]
Identity=unix-group:plugdev;cdrom
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-*;org.freedesktop.udisks2.eject*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes
Also, make sure that your user is in the "plugdev" group.

Check the groups of which your user is a member with:

groups
If "plugdev" is not listed, then use:

# gpasswd -a USER plugdev
newgrp plugdev
Replace USER with your actual username (the first command must be run as root, this is what the "#" symbol means).

It is possible that simply adding your user to the "plugdev" group will enable passwordless mounting so try that first.
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2016-04-11 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#34 Post by GarryRicketson »

Not being very familiar with XFCE, I am not much help here, but I get the impression it is a fairly new install. One thing that I have seen in some other topics here, many that had problems using sudo , or gksudo, had not made their selves a "administrator" yet, that is to say , they did not have administrator privlidges, and they fixed that by going to the control center, users, and the set your account as administrator.
I do have XFCE, just never use it, I would have to log out, and re-boot to a drive where I do have the XFCE, and look,..
or easier :
how to use XFCE, and set my user account as administrator
Take your pick of the sites listed.
The main point is, if you have not made your self a administrator , you will not be able to use gksudo or sudo, there also is a way to add your self to the sudoers file using the command line.
How do I add myself to the sudoers file on a Debian system
----------------------------------------------
1st hit: https://wiki.debian.org/sudo
-------------------------
One last note,.. usually on my system, the other drives are mounted automaticly, but they are in the /media directory , not in the /mnt , how ever the same applies, some of them can not be opened and viewed as a normal user, they need root permissions .
The way I am set up, when I want to open a file on another drive, it will prompt me for the root password, if needed.
------------------
H_O_A_S posted while I was writing this, and what he says is better, maybe easier to make sense of as well.
Quite often with Linux, there are so many ways to accomplish the same goal , it can seem confusing and overwhelming at first, but once you pick the method that is easiest for you, that makes the most sense to you, it gets easier.

Leon8200

#35 Post by Leon8200 »

cgmcgm wrote:Try to always do things using the Terminal, is such power.
:D
Did you try to follow GarryRicketson's examples?

Also you say you use XFCE, maybe try this: http://gr8idea.info/os/tutorials/debian-xfce/mount.html

Cheers
thanx I was able to mount sda2 as "/media/sda2/" using the info from your link :D

but still can't access it using the desktop or thunar
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Leon8200 wrote:I'm trying to mount/access the partition by clicking on it's icon in the thunar file manger, it's an icon that says "43 GB Volume"
I'm surprised that the XFCE desktop doesn't allow thunar to mount the drive without a password but I presume it's a security decision.

You can loosen the polkit permissions in your system to allow your normal user to mount devices by creating a file at /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.automount.plka (as root!) with the following content:

[Allow Unauthorized mounting/Unmounting]
Identity=unix-group:plugdev;cdrom
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-*;org.freedesktop.udisks2.eject*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes
Also, make sure that your user is in the "plugdev" group.

Check the groups of which your user is a member with:

groups
If "plugdev" is not listed, then use:

# gpasswd -a USER plugdev
newgrp plugdev
Replace USER with your actual username (the first command must be run as root, this is what the "#" symbol means).

It is possible that simply adding your user to the "plugdev" group will enable passwordless mounting so try that first.
I created the file and added the code but I dont know what "Also, make sure that your user is in the "plugdev" group." means or anything you said after that, sorry :(