Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

weird behavior of kernel 4.3 + find on Jessie

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
H.Z.

weird behavior of kernel 4.3 + find on Jessie

#1 Post by H.Z. »

Some days ago I found a strange thing on my server.
After a reboot I've tried to find all files which name starts with 'libc'.
I was in a root shell:
# find / -name 'libc*'
The command found nothing. Executed again, then I got a long list with all of these files.
Why?
After every reboot I experienced the same: first find in the root shell didn't work.
I can reproduce it on the host after reboot, and in lxc containers on the same host, but I can't with kernel 3.x.x or in non-root shell or in virtual machines (tried both in kvm and virtualbox guests).

As far as I see, after umount /sys/kernel/debug, find works correctly but when I remount it, and try to run find, the first attempt in root shell fails again.

Code: Select all

root@minipc:~# find / -name 'libc*' | wc -l
root@minipc:~# umount /sys/kernel/debug
root@minipc:~# mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug
root@minipc:~# umount /sys/kernel/debug
root@minipc:~# mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug
Well... it's interesting: the counter shown 20 lines in the find's output... I've mounted an ISO image under /mnt which contains twenty 'libc*' files. Hm...
Have you got any idea what is it and why? And why can't I reproduce it in a virtual machine?
I must to use kernel 4.3 or newer because of my hardware.

Update: it's more interesting... I've removed then reinstalled Debian on that machine, and now the find works.