Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FTP timeout leads to system lockout

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ul1404ssd

FTP timeout leads to system lockout

#1 Post by ul1404ssd »

Hello, I have been having issues with my personal server that I use for web, files, MC, etc. and have had this problem for a while. Only until now have I ignored it because it wasn't that big of a deal. But now that I'm having to rely on FTP a lot more, this can't continue.

As my client end, I'm using OS X and FTP with TLS/SSL with an app called 'Transmit' (yellow and purple truck).
As my server I'm using Debian 8.3 (Jessie?) with VSFTP.

The scenario goes like this, I have an SSH connection in Terminal open to my server like I usually have open. I decide to transfer a file of some sort into my home folder. However (and this is only when sending files, not receiving them, not that I've noticed at least), when sending a file, even a small (500KB>) file, the FTP transfers about ~400KB of the file and freezes. After about 15 seconds or so, Transmit alerts me that the server has timed out. I can't immediately reconnect. I try and access the server website from the same IP, nothing, nor any new SSH connection. However, the SSH connection that was already open is just fine. After about 5-10 minutes (I didn't really bother to find out how long), everything works again. The only configuration file changes in VSFTP that I've made (as far as I can remember) are Passive mode, SSL, and no anon at all.

And IPTables is dropping FORWARD, accept OUTPUT, drop INPUT (except for server connections, and established and related).

Please help, thanks