Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
aquar

[SOLVED] DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

#1 Post by aquar »

Hello, I tried to open the gmail webpage with epiphany but a message appeared "cannot open this page reload it or continue your web browsing in another web page" (bad translation). I noticed that only with gmail epiphany has issues. Can I enter in gmail with epiphany web browser?
Last edited by aquar on 2016-04-09 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit, Windows 7
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.80GHz ‖ RAM 15,7 MiB ‖ Gigabyte P55-US3L
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

aquar wrote:Can I enter in gmail with epiphany web browser?
I wouldn't advise it:
Debian jessie release notes wrote: Debian 8 includes several browser engines which are affected by a steady stream of security vulnerabilities. The high rate of vulnerabilities and partial lack of upstream support in the form of long term branches make it very difficult to support these browsers with backported security fixes. Additionally, library interdependencies make it impossible to update to newer upstream releases. Therefore, browsers built upon the webkit, qtwebkit and khtml engines are included in Jessie, but not covered by security support. These browsers should not be used against untrusted websites.

For general web browser use we recommend Iceweasel or Chromium.
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... r-security

EDIT: To clarify, Epiphany is a webkit-based browser and, as such, is fundamentally insecure.
deadbang

aquar

Re: DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

#3 Post by aquar »

mmm, ok your answer cover many parts I didn't know, thank you. I feel a little bad because it is very light program and I don't know, feels better to surf with that, fits on the screen, less buttons...ok question has been SOLVED
Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit, Windows 7
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.80GHz ‖ RAM 15,7 MiB ‖ Gigabyte P55-US3L
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

pylkko

Re: [SOLVED] DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

#4 Post by pylkko »

gmail only allows certain applications to access it. for other programs not considered good enough by google, you need select "allow less secure applications" from profile/settings. maybe epiphany is considered "less secure"

if you want something light, you can install a light email client and use gmail imap/smtp. or maybe another light browser.

Meterpen

Re: [SOLVED] DEBIAN8/ Epiphany browser & gmail

#5 Post by Meterpen »

pylkko wrote:gmail only allows certain applications to access it. for other programs not considered good enough by google, you need select "allow less secure applications" from profile/settings. maybe epiphany is considered "less secure"

if you want something light, you can install a light email client and use gmail imap/smtp. or maybe another light browser.
Thank you for this thread. Just did the same thing and looked for solutions online to get it working luckily I ended up here. Guess more secure is better. Thanks again.