Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Steam refuses to run

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
morcar1975

Steam refuses to run

#1 Post by morcar1975 »

I have done a fresh install of Linux Mint Debian and steam wont run.

When I run it in a terminal this is what I get

Running Steam on linuxmint 2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

can anyone help ?

Nirel

Re: Steam refuses to run

#3 Post by Nirel »

Hi,

Like "arochester" said before me, the best forum for this kind of question will be the Linux Mint Debian Forum, or even the Steam forum. But because you asked I will try to help you.

I didnt have steam on my debian mechine so I installed it from 0.
The "problem" is that it worked fine for me.

Did you install it with the "apt-get" tool?
any way from looking a bit online I found this from Debian documentation

"However, some core libraries included in the Steam Runtime will often conflict with the newer versions of other libraries included in Debian (such as drivers, and specifically the open-source ATI driver).

You can work around this by deleting the Steam Runtime versions of these libraries, forcing Steam to fall back to the up-to-date system versions (the ones installed by apt-get).

Note that Steam will frequently re-install these runtime libraries when Steam is updated, so until ValveSoftware/steam-runtime#13(https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... /issues/13) is resolved, whenever Steam updates, you should exit, remove the libraries, and restart it again.

Run these commands to remove runtime libraries known to cause issues with Debian:

# rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
# rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
# rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
# rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
# rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1
"
You can try this and tell us if that works
good luck

EDIT:
when you run steam with which user do you run it?
you should make sure that the user will be at least in the "video" and "audio" groups