Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrade Error

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bw123

Re: Upgrade Error

#31 Post by bw123 »

Is removing rdnssd generally an option? I thought it was a required system file?

Bugs318

i found this on a web search
rdnssd(8) - Linux man page
rdnssd is a daemon program providing client-side support for DNS configuration using the Recursive DNS Server (RDNSS) option, as described in RFC 5006.
linux.die.net/man/8/rdnssd
I think I agree with this post
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 88#p624171
If aptitude can't come up with a solution, your path seems clear.
p.s. oh yeh by the way, this might be a good time to backup any data you don't want to lose, these things seems to spiral into who-knows-what very unpredictably.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#32 Post by kiyop »

You executed "sudo apt-get update", didn't you?
Bugs318 wrote:Is removing rdnssd generally an option? I thought it was a required system file?
One of my debian jessie's does not have rdnssd

Code: Select all

$ LANG=C apt-cache policy rdnssd
rdnssd:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.1-1+b1
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1+b1 0
        500 http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main i386 Packages
I don't know if your debian requires a daemon program providing client-side support for DNS configuration using the Recursive DNS Server (RDNSS) option, as described in RFC 5006 or not.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Bugs318

#33 Post by Bugs318 »

Well, I removed rdnssd and it seems to be working smoothly without. Good to know. Still not sure how that happened, nor why the two upstream packages are said to conflict for only some people, but it seems this fix is working for me.

Thanks to all who contributed.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Bugs318 wrote:Still not sure ... why the two upstream packages are said to conflict for only some people
Read the bug report I linked.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Kajisav

#35 Post by Kajisav »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Bugs318 wrote:Still not sure ... why the two upstream packages are said to conflict for only some people
You nailed it, friend. I had an issue similar to this. Recently, like yesterday, I installed jessie and was wondering why my networking kept ceasing to work after 5-10 minutes (or so). Checking resolv.conf showed only ipv6 dns servers. I updated the networkmanager config and within a few seconds it prepended the correct ipv4 server to resolv.conf. 5-10 minutes later name resolution had quit again; resolv.conf showed only ipv6 servers again (with no "edited by networkmanager" comment anymore). Per a debian wiki about NetworkManager, I saw my system was using both dhclient and networkmanager, so I presumed dhclient was the culprit. I changed its config to append the correct servers. The problem recurs while I'm trying to run a dist-upgrade. I notice the dist-upgrade shows an unresolvable conflict with rdnssd: "systemd : Breaks: rdnssd (< 1.0.1-5) but 1.0.1-1+b1 is to be installed." I DuckDuckGo that error which brings me here. I decide to remove rdnssd, presuming network manager will take care of ipv6 dns and rolling the dice. The problem stops (and my dist-upgrade to testing resolves conflicts and completes successfully, with ipv6 still functioning).

That bug report you linked, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=740998, perfectly describes the issue. Frank Heckenbach also posted a simple patch that prepends the rdnssd data to resolv.conf rather than overwriting:

--- /etc/rdnssd/merge-hook
+++ /etc/rdnssd/merge-hook
@@ -23,6 +23,7 @@
 if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
 	/sbin/resolvconf -a 000.rdnssd < "$INPUT"
 else
-	cat -- "$INPUT" > "/etc/resolv.conf"
+	orig=`grep -v ^nameserver "/etc/resolv.conf"`
+	{ echo "$orig"; cat -- "$INPUT"; } > "/etc/resolv.conf"
 fi
I just wanted to say thanks for posting that as it confirms the behavior I was seeing was indeed a problem where I was not the root cause. As an aside, I reinstalled rdnssd and aptitude showed resolvconf as a dependency (despite rdnssd being installed by default in Jessie but not resolvconf, hence the issues to being with) and from here on out, resolvconf has been properly managing resolv.conf.

I'm a little unsure why Jessie would, during a default graphical install, install rdnssd, dhclient, and NetworkManager but not require resolvconf to properly mediate changes to resolv.conf.

manosgem

#36 Post by manosgem »

Kajisav wrote:
dilberts_left_nut wrote:
You nailed it, friend. I had an issue similar to this. Recently, like yesterday, I installed jessie and was wondering why my networking kept ceasing to work after 5-10 minutes (or so). Checking resolv.conf showed only ipv6 dns servers. I updated the networkmanager config and within a few seconds it prepended the correct ipv4 server to resolv.conf. 5-10 minutes later name resolution had quit again; resolv.conf showed only ipv6 servers again (with no "edited by networkmanager" comment anymore). Per a debian wiki about NetworkManager, I saw my system was using both dhclient and networkmanager, so I presumed dhclient was the culprit. I changed its config to append the correct servers. The problem recurs while I'm trying to run a dist-upgrade. I notice the dist-upgrade shows an unresolvable conflict with rdnssd: "systemd : Breaks: rdnssd (< 1.0.1-5) but 1.0.1-1+b1 is to be installed." I DuckDuckGo that error which brings me here. I decide to remove rdnssd, presuming network manager will take care of ipv6 dns and rolling the dice. The problem stops (and my dist-upgrade to testing resolves conflicts and completes successfully, with ipv6 still functioning).

That bug report you linked, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=740998, perfectly describes the issue. Frank Heckenbach also posted a simple patch that prepends the rdnssd data to resolv.conf rather than overwriting:

--- /etc/rdnssd/merge-hook
+++ /etc/rdnssd/merge-hook
@@ -23,6 +23,7 @@
 if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
 	/sbin/resolvconf -a 000.rdnssd < "$INPUT"
 else
-	cat -- "$INPUT" > "/etc/resolv.conf"
+	orig=`grep -v ^nameserver "/etc/resolv.conf"`
+	{ echo "$orig"; cat -- "$INPUT"; } > "/etc/resolv.conf"
 fi
I just wanted to say thanks for posting that as it confirms the behavior I was seeing was indeed a problem where I was not the root cause. As an aside, I reinstalled rdnssd and aptitude showed resolvconf as a dependency (despite rdnssd being installed by default in Jessie but not resolvconf, hence the issues to being with) and from here on out, resolvconf has been properly managing resolv.conf.

I'm a little unsure why Jessie would, during a default graphical install, install rdnssd, dhclient, and NetworkManager but not require resolvconf to properly mediate changes to resolv.conf.

I have the exact same problems as you , did upgrading solve connection issues ?
Can you please tell me the exact steps to follow (also commands to run)?
Up to now I decided to upgrade to Stretch , and the final apt-get dist-upgrade got me the same error and by chance I also "DuckDuckGo" that same error and got to this post.