Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mirage Image Viewer opinions? other options?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
No_windows

Mirage Image Viewer opinions? other options?

#1 Post by No_windows »

I've always found Imagemagick to be very difficult to use, and Ristretto works better but isn't quite there either. Recently, I've installed Mirage, and have used it some. It seems to have a dead link for it's homepage. Googling tells me that it was abandoned by the original owner, and later picked up by someone else. I'm not sure if that person is still working on it or not.

So far my only issue with Mirage is that it rotates many of my pictures, as if they were taken sideways.

Does anyone here use Mirage, and like it? What do you prefer for viewing, rotating, and cropping pictures?

stevepusser

Re: Mirage Image Viewer opinions? other options?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

http://alternativeto.net/software/mirag ... form=linux

There's many, many more choices than what's listed there. Along with audio players, Linux doesn't lack for these applications.

The top-rated nomacs isn't in Jessie or jessie-backports, but the 3.0.0 backport from Stretch is in the MX 15 main repo...and we could try a backport of 3.4 from Experimental for testing.
MX Linux packager and developer

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

No_windows wrote:I've always found Imagemagick to be very difficult to use, and Ristretto works better but isn't quite there either. Recently, I've installed Mirage, and have used it some. It seems to have a dead link for it's homepage. Googling tells me that it was abandoned by the original owner, and later picked up by someone else. I'm not sure if that person is still working on it or not.

So far my only issue with Mirage is that it rotates many of my pictures, as if they were taken sideways.

Does anyone here use Mirage, and like it? What do you prefer for viewing, rotating, and cropping pictures?
Viewnior is a small and elegant image viewer that is still in development. TBH if Mirage is supported by the package maintainer and still receives bug fixes, I do not see the issue in continuing using it.

Slightly offtopic:
Another example for software that has not been in active development for awhile would be K3B, its been on version 2.0.3 for the past 2 years and it is still supported and is one of the better CD burners out there.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

i've tried them all, but in the end i always end up using the filesystem for organization and feh for viewing.

small shell script to open all images in folder:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

shopt -s nullglob

if [[ ! -f $1 ]]; then
	echo "$0: first argument is not a file" >&2
	exit 1
fi

file=$(basename -- "$1")
dir=$(dirname -- "$1")
arr=()
shift

cd -- "$dir"

for i in *; do
	[[ -f "$i" ]] || continue
	arr+=("$i")
	[[ "$i" == $file ]] && c=$((${#arr[@]} - 1))
done

exec feh --magick-timeout 1 --cycle-once -Y -F -Z "$@" -- "${arr[@]:c}" "${arr[@]:0:c}"