Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WPS Office on Stretch (libpng12-0 error)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
VentGrey

WPS Office on Stretch (libpng12-0 error)

#1 Post by VentGrey »

Hello there Debian users (again) im facing with some package errors, this time I tried to install the famous WPS office however since I use Debian Testing i figured that it was not going to be simple, after downloading i get a Dependency error that asks for libpng12-0 so i said "no problem just install it" and nope, there is no libpng12-0 for Debian Stretch/Testing (https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libpng12-0) Now there goes my question.
I know installing Testing/unstable packages on Debian Stable can render it useless sometimes but Installing stable packages on testing does the same?
If so, how can i install that library or workaround it?

Thanks in advance :D
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

dasein

Re: WPS Office on Stretch (libpng12-0 error)

#2 Post by dasein »

VentGrey wrote:I know installing Testing/unstable packages on Debian Stable can render it useless sometimes but Installing stable packages on testing does the same?
Yes. You're still doing exactly the same thing. Borkage is not guaranteed, but each and every time you try to mix releases, you run a measurable risk of hosing your install.
VentGrey wrote:If so, how can i install that library or workaround it?
What does the Wiki say?

But the very fact that the library in question is in sid but not Testing implies an RC bug. (No, I didn't investigate details. That's your job.) Wiki has details on how packages move sid->Testing.

NB: You could always try installing an older/newer version without backporting it. Just back up your system first (which is something you should be doing anyway). Backups protect against a wide range of problems (including PEBKAC).

mor

Re: WPS Office on Stretch (libpng12-0 error)

#3 Post by mor »

dasein wrote:But the very fact that the library in question is in sid …
I can't see it in Sid, it says it was removed from Testing in April and from Unstable in May.

Anyway VentGrey, what dasein said is correct and you should keep it in mind for the future: don't mess around with different versions unless you know well what you are doing and you are ready to accept the consequences (read this thread as a starting point to understand what it means to maintain a mixed system).

All that said, I think you could be in luck this time because from what I can see the version from Stable is installable on a Testing system, and also you should be able to get a snapshot from before the package was removed since I still have that version still lingering on my system.
Mind though that it may soon be forced out as its replacement (libpng1.6) is already in Testing.

Bye