Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mdadm and apt updating ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bmarley83

mdadm and apt updating ?

#1 Post by bmarley83 »

Why is it that on both my machines that I use mdadm for software raid on, that are not the boot partitions just for data, get messed with every time I do a system upgrade? Didn't see anything on the debian wiki page for mdadm about it. Maybe I went to fast and didn't define things correctly, but, I need a clear answer so grub doesn't overwrite the mbr on any of my software raid drives and destroy my software raid like what just happened a few minutes ago. I can't reassemble my software raid after a system upgrade on a file server because , correct me if I'm wrong, during the kernel upgrade, grub just assumed the boot volume was the first recognizable drive and wrote the mbr to it probably destroying my raid. Please any input would be great, love debian. Was long time slackware user. Debian is quite a breeze compared to it.

EDIT: Sorry I messed that up.... I reassembled the raid after the update. I just got a little confused becuase the dev name changes after reboot and I had everything mapped via uuid (old server 8 drives, 4 ide in raid and 4 sata non raid). Next time I guess I will check the drive names more carefully ;) ... Sorry again, BTW this is my first post :O .. Now everyone knows what a jackass I am! Nice to meet you guys too.