Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

BOINC manager problem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
gargy2002

BOINC manager problem

#1 Post by gargy2002 »

Hi guys,
I have installed BOINC and all worked well for a couple of days. However, I didn't want to run it all the time so closed it. Now BOINC starts itself at random but I can't open BOINC manager to suspend it. Means the client works but the manager is inaccessible. Any ideas guys? Thanks

dasein

Re: BOINC manager problem

#2 Post by dasein »

Your post is a tad confusing. BOINC does indeed restart, particularly if it's run as a system service (which I believe is the default in Debian). But those restarts are by design and are not in any way "random," which suggests that you aren't understanding how BOINC operates in the first place.

If what you're looking to do is stop/suspend a running BOINC client, there are several possibilities. Details are available through the man page for kill (crude but effective) or the documentation for BOINC's own boinccmd tool (more nuanced and elegant).

That said, there's really no point in running BOINC if you're not prepared to let it run quietly in the background whenever your system isn't busy with other tasks. Sort of defeats the whole point/purpose of running BOINC in the first place.