Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable Login screen in LightDM/XFCE

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Disable Login screen in LightDM/XFCE

#41 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

OT but there have been a few problems reported from upstream:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221467

Perhaps some clues there?

EDIT: ignore my noise in that thread :lol:
deadbang

andoru

#42 Post by andoru »

wizard10000 wrote:my preferred terminal emulator (terminator) doesn't like it at all - only terminator windows lost their decoration
That's strange, it also works for me without any problems...
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: My bet would be on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias :D
Hahaha, nope!
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I have found the compositor in XFCE to be pretty poor and I usually turn it off and use compton instead, have you tried that?
Yup, that's what I'm using.
It also happens on the XFCE loading screen (I've set it to the one with the grey background and where the logo fades in and out), and from what I know, that's way before compton is loaded.

Any ideas where I could look for diagnosis? I looked into the Xorg logs, but there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious. Then again all logs are from before I managed to get autologin to work, so I'm guessing when loading Xorg like this, it doesn't leave logs? :?

Head_on_a_Stick

#43 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

andoru wrote:so I'm guessing when loading Xorg like this, it doesn't leave logs? :?
If you're using sid then X is run rootless and the logs are kept under ~/.local/share/xorg/ ;)
deadbang

andoru

#44 Post by andoru »

Ah, why didn't I think of that!
Taking a look at those logs, still I get nothing suspicious, these are all the warnings/errors I get:

Code: Select all

[    35.039] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[    35.385] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    35.385] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[    35.394] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[    35.394] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
I'll try disabling compton and see if there's any improvement.

Head_on_a_Stick

#45 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Just had a thought [1] — check the contents of ~/.xsessionrc and see if anything critical is started from there.

That file is parsed by display managers but not for a console-based login, ~/.profile is used for that instead.

[1] :shock:
deadbang

andoru

#46 Post by andoru »

Nope, that file doesn't exist under the home directory.

andoru

#48 Post by andoru »

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a problem with the login screen when booting, as opposed to the lockscreen after suspending the machine.

andoru

#49 Post by andoru »

Tried without compton: still the same I'm afraid, jerky animations.

Danielsan

#50 Post by Danielsan »

andoru wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a problem with the login screen when booting, as opposed to the lockscreen after suspending the machine.
I got it, so you want disable the locking after the resume, I found this:

https://github.com/the-cavalry/light-locker/
After installing light-locker, it will auto start along your session and you will be able to lock your session with "light-locker-command -l".
This will redirect you to VT8 (assuming that your open session was on VT7 and is now kept safe by light-locker) and present LightDM's greeter for unlocking your session again.
On suspend/resume light-locker will lock the active session and redirect to the LightDM's greeter for unlocking the session again.
There is no support for gnome-settings-daemon in order to keep things slim, so you might have to add a custom keyboard-shortcut for this to work.
light-locker will automatically lock the session shortly after the X11 screen saver kicks in. The timeout can be set with --lock-after-screensaver. With xset the X11 screen saver can be adjusted.
Use --late-locking to avoid some of the negative effects of VT switching. This will lock the session on the deactivation of X11 screen saver instead of activation.
light-locker will automatically lock the session on suspend/resume. To disable this behaviour with --no-lock-on-suspend.
With --lock-on-lid light-locker will automatically lock the lid close.
With logind sessions can have an idle hint. This is used to perform some action after a timeout. Use --idle-hint to let light-locker set the idle hint, in case nothing else does.