Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Live persistence weird thing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
a3533

Debian Live persistence weird thing

#1 Post by a3533 »

I recently install a Debian live persistence (with Kali Linux guide maybe) and it works like a charm. But until last week when I was surfing internet with Opera browser, it (entire computer) hang. So I forcefully shut down my computer as usual. When I reboot, all my persistence data was gone. I cannot mount the persistence partition (it was showed there) and I downloaded Gparted to check my partition and it show me the 'persistence' partition was using an unknown file system. So I start Windows and recreate the live persistence disk. It work as usual until yesterday, same thing happen when I surf Internet (computer hang) and I forcefully shut down the computer and again when reboot the persistence data loss. This time I do nothing because I am busy with my work. Just today I want to recreate it and reboot to check if it really lose the data. But this time all the data come back. What is happening?
p/s:sorry for my bad English cause I'm not a native speaker of English.
EDIT:After that I was unable to access the persistence data again.

pcalvert

Re: Debian Live persistence weird thing

#2 Post by pcalvert »

Which file system were you using for the persistence partition?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

a3533

#3 Post by a3533 »

pcalvert wrote:Which file system were you using for the persistence partition?

Phil
I'm using ext4 that time. So now when I make it again all thing go fine until the one which need to create another partition. I use gparted to create a ext3 partition after all change successfully applied, it show me the partition has an unknown filesystem.
I tried to format it to ext3 but it show me this
when I click retry it show this
Is it my pendrive will "die" soon?

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

There's no need to use GParted to format a partition when there is a simpler method.

First check to make that sure that you are formatting the correct partition:

Code: Select all

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Look carefully at the information. The output should make sense to you. Only go to the next step if the number of partitions and their sizes seem correct to you.

Run this command to format the partition:

Code: Select all

# mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sdb2
The "#" in the above commands means you must be the root user (or use sudo). Do not type the "#" character.
a3533 wrote: Is it my pendrive will "die" soon?
Possibly, but it is too early to say for certain.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

charlie joshpen 1234

#5 Post by charlie joshpen 1234 »

how to do a possible software use debian

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

charlie joshpen 1234 wrote:how to do a possible software use debian
Please start a new thread with your question. It is disrespectful to add your question to someone else's question, especially when it is not about the same topic. It also means that some people won't even see your question about something different that the topic title.

I didn't understand what you were asking. You should read http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47078 before posting.

a3533

#7 Post by a3533 »

There's no need to use GParted to format a partition when there is a simpler method.
I know it but I am not very good at partition using terminal.
I boot the pendrive with typed in 'persistence' in boot entry.
Now I got another problem, I delete the partition and recreate (Gparted) and it show me this
So I ignored that and continue format it using terminal but
And now I boot the computer without the 'persistence' entry it show me
But it not show me 'persistence' partition in file manager.