Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Auto-completion doesn't work with the command "umount".

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
negora

Auto-completion doesn't work with the command "umount".

#1 Post by negora »

Hello:

I'm using Debian Stretch (testing). I've installed the package "bash-completion". I've mounted a block device in /mnt/my-device/ , and then, I've used the command "umount" to dismount it. But the command hasn't been able to auto-complete the path to /mnt/my-device/ . This feature worked fine with Debian Jessie (stable). Is it a bug? If so, Is it already known, and is expected to be fixed?

To install Debian Stretch, I've used the installer of Debian Jessie and I've made a minimal installation. Then, I've replaced the keyword "jessie" with "stretch" in the file /etc/apt/sources.list , and I've upgraded the packages. Finally, I've installed the KDE Plasma 5 desktop on top of it. I guess that this is not related to my problem, but I better mention it, just in case.

I'm suffering from the same problem in Kubuntu 16.04.1 and Kubuntu 16.10, by the way.

Thank you!

bw123

Re: Auto-completion doesn't work with the command "umount".

#2 Post by bw123 »

Is it a bug? If so, Is it already known, and is expected to be fixed?
You can easily look at known bugs on the bug page for that package. Easy to find, just put the package name on the end of bugs.debian.org

https://bugs.debian.org/bash-completion

I saw a similar bug recently reported about apt-cache, so maybe related to the problem with umount?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

negora

#3 Post by negora »

bw123 wrote: You can easily look at known bugs on the bug page for that package. Easy to find, just put the package name on the end of bugs.debian.org
Hi bw123. First of all, thank you for your time and help.

I guess I'm too tired today and I don't think clearly, because I indeed did a search in bugs.debian.org before posting my message, but by the package "mount" instead of "bash-completion", he he he. I've repeated my search, but this time by the package "bash-completion". I've not found any reference to this problem with "umount" (in the reports currently open). Neither in testing nor in unstable. But, anyway, that was the right package by which I had to have searched, for a start.

I was worried of filling a bug report without asking here before. It was the first time that I was going to fill a report for Debian, so I didn't want to hurry and make a mistake. But I guess that it's time to fill one.

Thank you!

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

It's good to file bug reports, though most of mine have been closed because it was my misunderstanding of how a package is supposed to work. I don't know much about bash-completion, but it looks like it would use /etc/mtab for the info on mounts?

If the problem doesn't go away with root user, then I'd think it's a bug, if root can complete, then it might be permissions?
If the permission case is true, then maybe you could track down permissions on the actual file that contans the mounts, on my system it's somewhere around /proc/11222/mounts which is a 5 or 6 links from /etc/mtab so plenty of room for a permissions error.

Mayb you can find a workaround before filing the bug, it will probably be appreciated.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

Well, I was wrong again... found out that /etc/mtab is not used by bash-completion. The file is /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/umount and it runs mount, and expects
...the mount point being the third
# space-delimited field in the output of mount
It all looks pretty complicated, as usual, but I'm sure it'll get fixed.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

negora

#6 Post by negora »

Don't worry about the mistake, bw123. I appreciate your help.

Finally I've submitted a bug report using the command "reportbug". This is the first time that I use it, so the process has been a little messy. But I believe that I've filled the report correctly.

I'll update this thread as soon as I've news ;) .

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

I checked out your bug report,
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=852402

it's kind of a geeky thing I do. I like to read them.

Thanks for helping to squash the bugs in the next stable!
resigned by AI ChatGPT