Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't log in to X, Gnome or KDE

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
PopsTX

Can't log in to X, Gnome or KDE

#1 Post by PopsTX »

Just when I thought all was right in my igloo...

Boot the box and up comes a login screen for KDE: Usually boots directly to KDE.

After several attempts: Cannot log in to any WM as user and of course not as root. X will not start. I can however login as user and root via console.

After spending the better part of the evening scouring this forum, one other Linux forum and of course, Google; I find nothing that points me in the right direction for a solution.

No major udates, installs or upgrades were done prior to this problem: I've used the system extensively for the last week or so with no problems what so ever.

As usual, Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

Look at your /var/log/XFree86.0.log for errors.

It could be something simple like the mouse.

-Bob

PopsTX

#3 Post by PopsTX »

Dawgie;

Been there, done that... Have spent the better part of the day perusing log files and, for the life o' me, I cannot find anything that looks out of place or abnormal. ( Don't tell my clients their work got put aside for a personal project! )

I did create a new user: Which can log in to either KDE or Gnome with no problem.

So, now I'm comparing the relevant files to see where/what the difference is in the two user accounts.

I've got a feelin' I'm going to want to kick myself when I find the culprit!

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

PopsTX wrote:Dawgie;

I did create a new user: Which can log in to either KDE or Gnome with no problem.

So, now I'm comparing the relevant files to see where/what the difference is in the two user accounts.

I've got a feelin' I'm going to want to kick myself when I find the culprit!
You might find the problem in the file:
/home/user-that-cannot-run-xsession/.xsession-errors

-Bob

PopsTX

Uncle!

#5 Post by PopsTX »

Dawgie;

The only errors-warnings in the .xsession-errors file were left over from an x.org configuration (several days prior to this problem)... Which had been corrected/resolved.

When comparing the "New User's" /home directory contents with my "Regular" directory, I found several kde-socket links missing and even some of the sockets themselves not where they were supposed to be. That, to me, accounts for Pams inability to "authenticate" me as a user in KDE.

Every other log file (literally) shows a clean "shutdown" for the night with a "Who Are You?!" The only errors and warnings were of the UnAuthorized or User Unknown type.

I'm beginning to think this may have been a hardware failure of some type more than a software glitch. The only thing I Haven't done is scan the HD for bad sectors...

... Update: for what it's worth.
Rebooted and restarted several times using new user: No problem.
Fresh boot this morning after the machine had been off for roughly 5 hours: Same Problem.

In checking MORE Google searches I find everything from a KDE bug to conflicts with x.org. Which, personally I don't think are relevant here as the machine worked flawlessly for quite some time.

Once again, checking the /home/user directories I find both KDE and Gnome references are non-existant: deleted. Is CRON deleting these diretories, files and links? The log files (checked them ALL...AGAIN) are virtually useless as they still show only normal use.