Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] where to get libhdf5.so.100 for debian jessie

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Scindix

[SOLVED] where to get libhdf5.so.100 for debian jessie

#1 Post by Scindix »

Hi community,
for a program that I use on my server I need the exact library "libhdf5.so.100". A quick google search reveals that this file is only contained in packages from sid or stretch: https://www.google.de/search?q=site%3Ap ... df5.so.100
However I am using Debian Jessie Stable and so I cannot use these. Is there any other way of getting that library like an external/unofficial repository?

Thanks in advance,
Scindix

EDIT: I rechecked the google search results that I have linked above and it seems that not even these packages contain the required library.
Last edited by Scindix on 2017-02-08 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

kedaha

Re: where to get libhdf5.so.100 for debian jessie

#2 Post by kedaha »

The best way to get it would be to backport it. I had a quick look and see that backporting it'd involve bit of "dependency hell." For a start, you'd need the backported version of debhelper and then you'd find that default-jdk-headless isn't available for debian jessie either which in turn would a newer version of default-jre-headless...which doesn't bode well; but who knows? Maybe stevepusser can figure it out. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Debian has no files named exactly libhdf5.so.100 upstream, only variants that are part of the libhdf5-X library. Judging by the ".100", I'd make a guess that it wants something related to the libhdf5-100 library that's in Stretch, because that's the number that's at the end of its differently named .so files. Perhap if that version was backported and a symlimk made to one of those .so files, it would get your mystery package working--but the developers of your package could give a better reply than I could.

Debhelper 10 build-dependencies are usually very easy to revert to 9. The jdk-headless stuff would be more complicated to backport--maybe waiting for answers from the experts on the mystery package would be prudent. I know it's possible, but a bit tricky, having already done it for MX 16 as shipped.
MX Linux packager and developer

Scindix

#4 Post by Scindix »

I fixed my problem via other means.

I could acquire access to the source code and compiled it against the library version that comes with the official debian jessie package (https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libhdf5-dev ). So I don't really need that specific version anymore. However it was bit odd that the shared object was in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial" which is not a standard include path for gcc. I had to add it to CPATH in order to get it working.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your effort in helping me anyway.