Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

High CPU use in stretch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Golf

High CPU use in stretch

#1 Post by Golf »

Hi, I recently upgraded one of my laptops to stretch and all seems to be working fine but for some reason CPU usage seems to have gone through the roof. For example Firefox is reported at 20 - 30% when watching a video in the browser with the fan running constantly at hight speed whereas doing the same thing in jessie would only use 2 - 3%. This difference is not just restricted to Firefox but is just the most noticeable there. Any idea what is going on? The laptop in question is core i5-337I 1.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.

sgage

Re: High CPU use in stretch

#2 Post by sgage »

Golf wrote:Hi, I recently upgraded one of my laptops to stretch and all seems to be working fine but for some reason CPU usage seems to have gone through the roof. For example Firefox is reported at 20 - 30% when watching a video in the browser with the fan running constantly at hight speed whereas doing the same thing in jessie would only use 2 - 3%. This difference is not just restricted to Firefox but is just the most noticeable there. Any idea what is going on? The laptop in question is core i5-337I 1.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.
I have noticed the same thing, particularly in Firefox...

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

By chance, it might be using CPU instead of gpu to decode video, which is quite intensive.
Always on Debian Testing

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

So many factors that it's hard to say--was Firefox upgraded to a higher version? How was it playing video before and after--Flash or HTML 5? Does something like Google Chrome or Slimjet have the same CPU use on Youtube?

And if the particular video driver comes into play, we can go into a whole 'nother rabbit hole...
MX Linux packager and developer

floreado

#5 Post by floreado »

Hi

I have the same problem. CPU work only on the maximum rate in my case 1.70,
the computer is loud and temperatures are higher in comparison with stable.
I don't know what they do with the new debian but I don't like it.
Jessie is quiet, processor scaling is significantly better.
Firefox needs know 1.2 GB, it is a disaster so I use Chromium, because Opera overheats the computer too.

VentGrey

#6 Post by VentGrey »

Firefox is reported at 20 - 30% when watching a video in the browser with the fan running constantly at hight speed whereas doing the same thing in jessie would only use 2 - 3%. This difference is not just restricted to Firefox but is just the most noticeable there. Any idea what is going on? The laptop in question is core i5-337I 1.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.
What graphics card are you using? also, were you using Firefox ESR on Jessie or you enabled the jessie-backports source for the "newer firefox", is the codecs library enabled? maybe desktop got heavier? there are a lot of factors involved.
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

floreado

#7 Post by floreado »

I know that I was not asked for any further information but I would like to share my observations.
I noticed that every distribution with Linux 4.8 or higher makes computer work on its max rate,
in my case 1.70 Ghz when something heavy is on, like Youtube.
Without such an activity scaling works good.
Kernel 4.9 has a problem with ACPI what has been already reported in Bugzilla
and I experience the same problem on testing.
So there are some kernel problems, I think.
And obviously "great browsers" which require 1.3 GB RAM to work.
I cannot get it, it's more than DE.

nova_nul

#8 Post by nova_nul »

Hi

Are you using Flash Player in Firefox? Someone told me Firefox can not get along well with latest Flash Player and it happend to me.
If you have to use Flash Player in firefox, try a former version(I have no idea if it would work).
Nice to meet you , too.

smoki

#9 Post by smoki »

Yeah latest flash does not support hardware decode anymore, so that might be a reason.

That old one long term supported up to version 11.2.202.644 have decode, while current one 24.0.0.221 nope and of course CPU goes high with that... even without hardware decoding, new one works worse and eats more CPU :lol:

It is not specific too Stretch, even on Jessie same new flash make same crap :lol: