Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

jssc 2.8.0 license and debian .so

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dheeraj.guntupalli

jssc 2.8.0 license and debian .so

#1 Post by dheeraj.guntupalli »

We are planning to use jssc-2.8.0.jar for serial communication in our application. But it doesn't support ppc architecture.

we found that debian includes libjSSC-2.8_ppc.so used internally in jssc-2.8.0.jar. If we plan to extract and use just the .so and copy that in to jssc-2.8.0.jar along with other .so files for arm etc provided by jSSC. Would there be any problem when using in our commercial application.

I know JSSC is LGPL v3, and does including the debian provided .so in the jssc lobrary used by our application have an problems.

Could anyone provide pr point out links for info where we could get answers.

Thanks & regards,
Dheeraj

bw123

Re: jssc 2.8.0 license and debian .so

#2 Post by bw123 »

It's a legal question, so you'll need legal advice. Here's some links to do some more research.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... tarySystem
You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program. If you could incorporate GPL-covered software into a non-free system, it would have the effect of making the GPL-covered software non-free too.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

As bw123 pointed out, you have posted a legal question in a technical forum. Probably not the ideal venue.

IANAL, so all I can do is offer a few casual observations (in no particular order):

- Big proprietary software companies with armies of lawyers deliberately and systematically avoid intermingling FOSS and proprietary code. Ask yourself why.

- Any answer you get (even from an IP attorney) is going to be peppered with disclaimers about this-or-that country where typical rules don't apply.

- Unless you want to spend your time/resources/money on fighting legal battles, your safest course is to re-invent this particular wheel. That is to say, create your own code to accomplish your goal, without so much as LOOKING as the FOSS code.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Dasein>>
- Unless you want to spend your time/resources/money on fighting legal battles, your safest course is to re-invent this particular wheel. That is to say, create your own code to accomplish your goal, without so much as LOOKING as the FOSS code.
+100

Lawyers, are mostly a bunch of crooks, they love making complicated and confusing laws , so they can profit even more, and I don't know about the legal issues, nor am I a lawyer,...
However based on what it sounds like, Wouldn't another solution be to simply make the "commercial application" FOSS, offer it as open source, and free ?
You could still accept donations, and if the application is good, people will donate to a worthy cause. Also, I think, again since I am not any kind of lawyer, and do not understand all the mumbo jumbo, the crooks, (Ooops, I mean lawyers,) use,
But I think even if and when it is open source / FOSS the developers, or maintainers
can charge a fee for technical support, and that could include installing the application.
The yellow pages , or a "google search" would be the best place to look for lawyers, that specialize in this kind of thing, I can't and will not recommend any
in particular, they are all about the same, some are a little less crooked then others, but they all just want your money.
Interesting, though,...how somebody developing commercial software, to make a profit on, comes here asking for free legal advise, or permission to use ,
this,.....
we found that debian includes libjSSC-2.8_ppc.so used internally in jssc-2.8.0.jar. If we plan to extract and use just the .so
I don't think it would stand up in court , to say, "Oh they told me it is ok , the the Debian Users Forum,... :D
If you want to develop commercial software, pay your programmers to write the .so as Dasein suggested, and pay for the legal advise.
If you want to develop FOSS software, then maybe there are plenty of "volunteers" that
might be willing to help, etc.