Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I have external HDD , I want encypt it and use it on all li

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mfaridi

I have external HDD , I want encypt it and use it on all li

#1 Post by mfaridi »

I have external HDD and I have on my work place Ubuntu Linux and I have at home Debian and Mint linux . I want encrypt all space in external HDD and I want use it at work place and home . I want plug it on Ubuntu and Mint and Debian and use it . and after unplug it . I need my DATA on external HDD encrypt and windows user can not use it .
I need help for this .
life is linux and debian is live

marcetm

Re: I have external HDD , I want encypt it and use it on all

#2 Post by marcetm »

Hi mfaridi,

I see two ways (I'm sure there's much more) depending on the amount of data to be encrypted or to be hidden.

1.- Using VeraCrypt

2.- Format that external drive as ext4 so Windows can't read it without installing a third party program. zip the data and password protect the zipped file.

mfaridi

#3 Post by mfaridi »

My external HDD is 2TB. Security is very important for me , and I want nobody can not recover DATA
life is linux and debian is live

marcetm

#4 Post by marcetm »

In that case you can encrypt your external HD with VeraCrypt. I advise you to use Veracrypt because it's easy to use but there's a lot of ways and programs to encrypt your HD, you can use whatever you prefer. Obviously, you'll need to install Veracrypt in all your machines on which you want to use that HD.

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

LUKS or Veracrypt is the answer to your question as they both use volume level encryption.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀