Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does Lenovo touchpoint work with Stretch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ozgta

Does Lenovo touchpoint work with Stretch

#1 Post by ozgta »

Hi,
Debian Stretch AMD64 & xfce4
I have searched the following question and found no positive results. A lot of reference is in regard to installing gpointing-device-settings which is not in my synaptic repositories.
I have also seen reference to xinput, maybe this is enough?

Does anyone know if the Trackpoint on the Lenovo T450 Thinkpad can be easily configured for Debian?

phenest

Re: Does Lenovo touchpoint work with Stretch

#2 Post by phenest »

Try Debian live.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

ozgta

#3 Post by ozgta »

Thanks phenest,
Unfortunately I haven't bought the laptop yet, just doing some research before investing....

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

ozgta wrote:Unfortunately I haven't bought the laptop yet, just doing some research before investing....
Take the Debian live CD or USB to the store and ask to let you boot up. If they won't let you, find another store.

ozgta

#5 Post by ozgta »

Thanks Bulkley,
I cannot do this....
I'm restricted on a few fronts, one being that I live in a very remote location hence my researching beforehand.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

What you're doing is not research. You have two choices:

1) Wait around and hope someone has the exact same hardware you're looking to purchase.

2) Actually do some, y'know, research. Spend a little time at your favorite search engine. Search Newegg/Amazon reviews for the specific model you're looking at. Read the Wiki page devoted entirely to Thinkpad installation. That kind of thing.

ozgta

#7 Post by ozgta »

Thanks dasein,
2) Actually do some, y'know, research. Spend a little time at your favorite search engine. Search Newegg/Amazon reviews for the specific model you're looking at. Read the Wiki page devoted entirely to Thinkpad installation. That kind of thing.
This is exactly what I have been doing for many hours now...as well as contacting my peers on this forum :)

quixote

#8 Post by quixote »

(Don't let dasein discourage you. Grumpy, but very knowledgeable when he chooses to share :lol: )

I have a Thinkpad X201s, so not exactly the same. My trackpoint (You mean the little button-y thing between the G, H, and B keys, right?) has always worked out of the box with no trouble at all. I used to run Wheezy, now Jessie, and I'm moving to Stretch on another partition. I've never had to install anything special for any of them. Likewise with the touchpad itself.

Lenovo generally is quite good for Linux compatibility. This is a site that goes into some detail about installing Debian on all the Thinkpads: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Edited, posted almost at the same time,..as quixote ,
Any way, yes the wiki has some information,

I am surprised, if you have been doing research for several hours, I am surprised
you did not find this: (well maybe you did, but did not tell us) any way,
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... Trackpoint

I found it using the same words the OP uses in the question.
Trackpoint on the Lenovo T450 Thinkpad can be easily configured for Debian

It looks to me like it may not be very easy, and there may be some problems.
I wouldn't buy any computer if I can not check it first and make sure it really works, and as suggested a live CD would be a good way to test it,..
I also live in a very rural area, remote,... but when it comes to buying a computer, I go to the city , and store. No way would I buy one with out being able to test it.
How ever, a thought, Why don't you contact the manufacture of this hardware, they should be able to tell you, if not I would look for a better brand, even if it
did cost more. Of course, I don't know if you can take a salesman word for anything, they probably will say "Oh sure, man, we tested it on everything no problem, it works just fine",...

ozgta

#10 Post by ozgta »

@ quixote
Thanks that is encouraging. I'll go back to that link.

@ Gary Ricketson
thanks for the links...yes I did find them
the first link at the beginning refers to installing 'gsettings-device-pointing' which unfortunately is not in my updated repository
the second link refers to modification of the file '.xsessionrc' which unfortunately I cannot find in my file system, so I keep looking elsewhere and I found nothing conclusive.

I approached this forum in the hope that another forum user had tried the same Lenovo laptop.

All is good though, everything points to it being possible while nothing suggests that it is not possible :)

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

No problem, your post is pretty new, if there is no hurry , there is a pretty
good chance someone that is using the same hardware will come a long, but it
could take some time, as Dasein pointed out.

It might be worth registering and asking here:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Disc ... inux%40tkb
There was a lot on "Ubunto", but that is not Debian, so probably you will need to ask, but they may have someone that has tried Debian on that model.

ozgta

#12 Post by ozgta »

Thanks again GarryRicketson,
I'll follow through on that link....

robfantini

#13 Post by robfantini »

using a L430 and 2 other models touchpoint and trackpad work on stretch debian-stretch-DI-rc2-amd64-netinst.iso

ozgta

#14 Post by ozgta »

OK thanks robfantini

sjukfan

#15 Post by sjukfan »

Works "out of the box" with xserver-xorg-input-libinput, The tips in https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... Trackpoint with xinput is only necessary if you use xserver-xorg-input-evdev.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

ozgta

#16 Post by ozgta »

Excellent...thanks sjukan