Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation Failure: tmp is full

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
saraphim

Re: Installation Failure: tmp is full

#16 Post by saraphim »

Btw, I disagree that there is not an installation issue worth attention. It's illogical to default tmp so small. If this LVM configuration I'm using requires manual size configuration(s) as to avoid a tiny tmp or other folder, this should he mentioned during setup if not part of the setup process. The setup flow goes in one of two main directions from the start; manual partitioning or default (automatic setup). I could have manually partitioned had I known I had to, yet I let Debian do this assuming it would as I was using the default auto setup option.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

FWIW I still disagree with your disagreement :)

300MB for tmp is usually more than enough and, I think, is an acceptable default for a separate partition setup - having a default size of (for example) 4+ GB for a partition that in most cases will hold < 100MB of data would, IMHO, be a bug ...

As well as the prompt in the partitioning step to choose "all in one" if you're unsure, it's also covered in the install documentation (which you read, right? :) )

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... -partition
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apcs02.html.en wrote: /tmp: temporary data created by programs will most likely go in this directory. 40–100MB should usually be enough. Some applications — including archive manipulators, CD/DVD authoring tools, and multimedia software — may use /tmp to temporarily store image files. If you plan to use such applications, you should adjust the space available in /tmp accordingly
Debian provides a lot more than your average "cool desktop focussed derivative distro" aimed at casual users, and consequently requires a bit more thought about what you want.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

saraphim

#18 Post by saraphim »

Never read the Debian documentation. Too much of a overly confident narcissist for that.
It appears I'm right at home here.

Thanks again guys.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

what about the topic at hand?
i.e. compiling android studio? success pointing it to another (temp) folder?