Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Aptitude "E: Unable to seek to X" error

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Kromitvs

Aptitude "E: Unable to seek to X" error

#1 Post by Kromitvs »

Hy,
This has happened at least twice.
I run some normal aptitude command and I get several screens of errors.
The same command will work fine on second turn.

Code: Select all

[ ERR] Building tag database
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_non-free_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_main_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_contrib_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_non-free_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-pt - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_contrib_i18n_Translation-en - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_non-free_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_contrib_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_binary-i386_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_non-free_binary-amd64_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_contrib_binary-amd64_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.pt.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_binary-amd64_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Unable to seek to 0
E: Unable to seek to 1236
E: Unable to seek to 1884
E: Unable to seek to 2517
E: Unable to seek to 3334
E: Unable to seek to 4174

E: Unable to seek to 1895565
E: Unable to seek to 1896316
E: Unable to seek to 1896965
E: Unable to seek to 0
E: Unable to seek to 1556
E: Unable to seek to 4586
E: Unable to seek to 5508
E: Unable to seek to 6444
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1:3.7.4-1
Priority: optional
Section: text
Maintainer: Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 597 k
Depends: ghostscript-x, libc6 (>= 2.14), libx11-6, libxinerama1, libxmu6, libxt6, xaw3dg (>= 1.5+E-1)
Recommends: xaw3dg (>= 1.5+E-18~)
Conflicts: gv
Provides: pdf-viewer, postscript-viewer
Description: PostScript and PDF viewer for X
 gv is a comfortable viewer of PostScript and PDF files for the X Window System. It uses the ghostscript PostScript interpreter and is based on the
 classic X front-end for gs, ghostview, which it has replaced now.
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/gv/

Tags: implemented-in::c, interface::x11, role::program, scope::application, suite::gnu, uitoolkit::athena, use::viewing, works-with-format::pdf,
      works-with-format::postscript, works-with::text, x11::application

I edited the error message and deleted more than 136500 lines with "E: Unable to seek to X"

The logs (aptitude, dpkg and apt show nothing after my last install).
Google was no help also.

What is this, or how can I further research the issue?

Thanks!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Aptitude "E: Unable to seek to X" error

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Kromitvs wrote:how can I further research the issue?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/smartmontools
deadbang

Kromitvs

Re: Aptitude "E: Unable to seek to X" error

#3 Post by Kromitvs »

You think this is a HDD related issue? (it's 3 month old!)