Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gparted format usb root permissions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Martus

Gparted format usb root permissions

#1 Post by Martus »

Hi there,

I'm on Debian 8.1, with gnome.
I'm actually seeing strange things when I’m formatting an usb stick.
on my usb disk I've tried different file system, ext2 to 4, Fat32 & NTFS.
Partition made in ext are created with root permissions, so I can't use it as normal user.
Partition made with Fat32 & NTFS are created with current user permissions.

Why is that? and what to do to make it back to normal, gparted "making" partition with current user permissions?

thanks a lot for your time.

pylkko

Re: Gparted format usb root permissions

#2 Post by pylkko »

Why are you still on 8.1?

You could search for information on Linux permissions. What they are and how they work. Fat32 and ntfs dont support them. Ext does, and given that you are using the root user to create the partitions it is no at all strange that these partitions are owned by that user.
Last edited by pylkko on 2017-04-02 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

As far as I know that is normal, when I have used Gparted, it required me to be root
or use sudo, since I do not use "sudo", I run gparted as root.
After I am done with the partitioning work,... as root I set or change the permisions as needed, ..hope that makes sense.
I use "chmod" and 'chown" to do that,

Code: Select all

man chmod 

Code: Select all

man chown

Martus

#4 Post by Martus »

pylkko you are right, I'm not on Debian 8.1, I'm on 8.7. :P
I'didn't know about permissions for ntfs and fat, it does make a bit more sense.

GarryRicketson, I know about chown and chmod, and I usually use chown to change usb permissions for current user.

I know that "to use /dev" you need to be root, but I'm sure that before it wasn't needed to change permissions after formatting with gparted. And gparted always needed to be start as super user.

maaaah... I'll do some command line to change the permissions.

But still,...when you launch gparted (or any other app) from activities, I don't think it is "normal" that you should go to command line to finish whatever has been done.

Anyway thanks guys

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

Martus wrote:But still,...when you launch gparted (or any other app) from activities, I don't think it is "normal" that you should go to command line to finish whatever has been done.
You're not "finishing" anything. Gparted is a root application, and all formats are created to be root because of that. However, there is no such thing as a root FAT or NTFS.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

interesting question.
i think one reason why such a feature is not included in gparted could be this:
you'd have to mount the partition before you chown it, but you can't automate that because you only just created it and it's not in fstab or anything.