Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LiveCD web page - xfce choice downloads gnome (SOLVED)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ruffwoof

LiveCD web page - xfce choice downloads gnome (SOLVED)

#1 Post by ruffwoof »

The xfce iso link on the unofficial/non-free Debian LiveCD web page ... downloads a gnome desktop version !!! All of those were updated a month or two back to 8.7.1 ... perhaps no one has noticed as of yet.
Last edited by ruffwoof on 2017-04-05 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

Re: LiveCD web page - xfce choice downloads gnome

#2 Post by phenest »

Can you confirm that this is the ISO in question:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... onfree.iso
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Post output from:

Code: Select all

md5sum <local-path>debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-xfce-desktop+nonfree.iso
where <local-path> is the directory where you saved the .iso file

ruffwoof

#4 Post by ruffwoof »

I deleted the downloaded file and downloaded from the official (main only, no contrib non-free) version instead and used that. Downloading again now and will have another look. https://gemmei.ftp.acc.umu.se/cdimage/u ... onfree.iso

md5sum of the one I've just downloaded (about to install)

509e148e27ab7ed2182fc79ef170376d debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-xfce-desktop+nonfree.iso

.. will report back later.

Yep ... still the same (posting from it now) .... Gnome.

Maybe its my weird install method (frugal). I clear out a ext partition (sda1 in my case) and then extract all of the /live/filesystem.squashfs content to that

unsquashfs -f -d /mnt/sda1 filesystem.squashfs
I then copy across the /live folder to that partition, except for /live/filesystem.squashfs ... which instead I create a empty version

cd /live (on sda1)
mkdir empty
mksquashfs empty filesystem.squashfs
rmdir empty

I create a mnt/sda1/persistence.conf containing

/ union

and then boot that installation (using grub4dos that's installed on sda1) using kernel boot parameters of persistence persistence-read-only (note that sda1 has a partition label of 'persistence').

user@debian:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
boot=live timezone=Europe/London xorg-resolution=1280x768 config nofastboot persistence persistence-read-only persistence-label=persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config rw
grub4dos menu.lst entry of

title Debian Jessie XFCE Frugal RO - only saves if run flush2disk
find --set-root /menu.lst
kernel /vmlinuz boot=live timezone=Europe/London xorg-resolution=1280x768 config nofastboot persistence persistence-read-only persistence-label=persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config rw
initrd /initrd.img
Note that I do that sort of install quite often and this is the first time I've encountered a different to expected desktop. I suspect the iso content is wrong ... but it could be some other cause that I am not familiar with. The Official iso installed just fine that exact same way (bringing up xfce desktop).

Bit of a cheat way to install as sda1 is both the boot partition and the installed partition, like a liveCD boot, but installed on HDD ... where the same partition is also the save partition (everything is extracted to that such that filesystem.squashfs becomes redundant). persistence-read-only boot parameter means no changes are saved to disk, only in memory ... so faster to run (writes to ram instead of disk). I add additional functions to that such as install grub which means it can also be booted as though a fully install (handy for applying the likes of kernel updates). I also have a script that can dump the memory based changes up to that point in time to disk ... to make them persistent despite having been booted frugally. Just the way I prefer to run things i.e. I can boot and test things out in a frugal session and doesn't matter if things get screwed up as a reboot 'undoes' all of those changes. Or fully boot to apply updates. Or boot frugally, make some minor change and flush those changes to disk (configuration changes etc.). But mostly (once configured as I like) boot frugally and not bother save (store docs etc on another partition) ... which runs a lot quicker than a fully installed version. When running more intensive programs (video editing etc), I create and activate a temporary swap file in that same partition (so the same partition is in effect a boot, main filesystem, save, and swap partition(s)).
Last edited by ruffwoof on 2017-04-05 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

Why are you installing it like that? It has a built in installer of it's own. And when I installed from the unofficial ISO, I got XFCE. And I also installed to a single partition.

I think you should mark this as solved because you're installing via a non-standard method. There's nothing wrong with the ISO at all.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

ruffwoof

Re: LiveCD web page - xfce choice downloads gnome (SOLVED)

#6 Post by ruffwoof »

Find set-root was picking/booting up a filesystem.squashfs (gnome version) on another partition. Marked thread Solved.