Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Shutdown hangs Jessie i386

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED] Shutdown hangs Jessie i386

#21 Post by ticojohn »

dasein wrote:
4) According to the bug report, yes, the bug is fixed. Is that fix available in jessie-backports?

And therein lies the real issue: some folks would rather wallow in a problem than fix it.
Thanks you Mr. Give-me-hell! Maybe I deserve it. I wasn't WALLOWING, I was relating an issue. And in fact I had read that report regarding bug 788303. I saw where the bug was fixed in the latest release of systemd, around 25 April 2016, and had ASSUMED since I had done a dist-upgrade many times sine that date that I had the latest version of systemd for jessie. However, on further examination I see that I have 215-17 and the fix was deployed at 229-5. Had I seen that, instead of WALLOWING, I would have looked at the jessie-backports.

Once again, thanks for being so helpful. Your empathy is sometimes overwhelming.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED] Shutdown hangs Jessie i386

#22 Post by ticojohn »

Are there any particular gotchas that I need to worry about when installing systemd from jessie-backports?
Is this a proper way to do the install (yes, I have backports in my sources list),

Code: Select all

apt install systemd -t jessie-backports
or is it better to do this?

Code: Select all

apt-get -t jessie-backports install "systemd"
Or does it not make a difference which I use?

UPDATE: Well, I went ahead and used apt-get, as that is what I would normally use. Everything appears to be installed and working. I even went ahead and did an update-grub just to be sure that init d files were updated. Necessary, don't know but shouldn't hurt.
I now have systemd 230. I'll keep my eyes on the shutdown issue and hopefully it is now resolved, thanks mostly to the ever helpful dasein. Thank you SIR!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.