Gnome control

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Gnome control

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-10 11:44

Just installed Gnome ... and loving it.

Installed kodi from jessie backports and added a European radio stations list, listening to a station and gnomes volume control in the top right of the screen is showing two bars. One has a volume icon next to it and changes the volume as you might expect, but beneath that is another bar that looks like a light icon (changing its setting doesn't seem to do anything)

Any ideas what its for/does ?
Debian oldstable (Jessie) (MAIN repositories only), jwm, pcmanfm --desktop
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), AMD Phenom X4, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.
ruffwoof

Re: Gnome control

Postby marcetm » 2017-04-10 11:58

It should change the brightness of your screen.
marcetm

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-10 12:50

Thanks marcetm. Probably doesn't because I have redshift installed that auto adjusts for the time of day.

Just installed a auto move window extension and have set firefox to load to workspace 2 and after moving copies of firefox and kodi .desktop files from /usr/share/applications into my ~/.config/autostart folder it reboots nicely with kodi ready to go on desktop 1 and firefox ready to go on desktop 2 (I use a TV as a monitor and that's the setup I was looking for).

I did try out gnome a while back but I didn't like it back then. On re-visiting however and more familiar with it (and replacing the default file manager with pcmanfm that I prefer), I'm finding it great.

Before I used tweak-tool to add minimise and maximise buttons to windows, but I 'get-it' more now and appreciate that leaving windows open on different workspaces works well ... top left corner and pick the window/workspace.

I did find the top left corner resistance a bit too much but adding in another extension (Activities Configurator) fixed that (reducing hot corner down to a value of 40 works well for me).
Debian oldstable (Jessie) (MAIN repositories only), jwm, pcmanfm --desktop
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), AMD Phenom X4, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.
ruffwoof

Postby marcetm » 2017-04-21 22:21

Thanks for sharing your tricks, I didn't have any idea of such a software like redshift.
marcetm

Return to General Questions