Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome control

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ruffwoof

Gnome control

#1 Post by ruffwoof »

Just installed Gnome ... and loving it.

Installed kodi from jessie backports and added a European radio stations list, listening to a station and gnomes volume control in the top right of the screen is showing two bars. One has a volume icon next to it and changes the volume as you might expect, but beneath that is another bar that looks like a light icon (changing its setting doesn't seem to do anything)

Any ideas what its for/does ?

marcetm

Re: Gnome control

#2 Post by marcetm »

It should change the brightness of your screen.

ruffwoof

#3 Post by ruffwoof »

Thanks marcetm. Probably doesn't because I have redshift installed that auto adjusts for the time of day.

Just installed a auto move window extension and have set firefox to load to workspace 2 and after moving copies of firefox and kodi .desktop files from /usr/share/applications into my ~/.config/autostart folder it reboots nicely with kodi ready to go on desktop 1 and firefox ready to go on desktop 2 (I use a TV as a monitor and that's the setup I was looking for).

I did try out gnome a while back but I didn't like it back then. On re-visiting however and more familiar with it (and replacing the default file manager with pcmanfm that I prefer), I'm finding it great.

Before I used tweak-tool to add minimise and maximise buttons to windows, but I 'get-it' more now and appreciate that leaving windows open on different workspaces works well ... top left corner and pick the window/workspace.

I did find the top left corner resistance a bit too much but adding in another extension (Activities Configurator) fixed that (reducing hot corner down to a value of 40 works well for me).

marcetm

#4 Post by marcetm »

Thanks for sharing your tricks, I didn't have any idea of such a software like redshift.