Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Systemd mount/umount encrypted to specific path

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Crumbs516

Systemd mount/umount encrypted to specific path

#1 Post by Crumbs516 »

Switched to Jessie, which means systemd nonsense. What I am trying to do worked in wheezy just using /etc/fstab but under systemd rules everything is more convoluted (wish there were better examples). I am trying to set it up so encrypted drives that do not automount during boot mount to a specific path when the user requests, and unmount when they tell the drive to. I was able to remove the root password request with a udev rule. I am able to mount the drive via path.mount systemd config. Unfortunately this takes away the unmount GUI icon. How to get unmount to work?

What I did...
1. create systemd .mount file

Code: Select all

$ vim /etc/systemd/system/dataTBs.mount
   # unit to map UUID for encrypted drive to a static directory
   [Unit]
   Description=Mount Encrypted Drive Directory
   Conflicts=umount.target
   #Before=local-fs.target umount.target
   #Before=umount.target

[Mount]
   What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/4faf1458-9217-40e3-83d1-4b7e35ba3145
   Where=/dataTBs
   Type=ext4
   Options=defaults,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=3,x-systemd.mount-timeout=3,users,exec,nodev,nosuid,errors=remount-ro

[Install]
   WantedBy=multi-user.target

$ systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/dataTBs.mount
2. define udev rule to avoid root password request (this was blocking the .mount from running I think)

Code: Select all

# ref: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Installation_Guide/apcs04s06.html
$ vim /etc/crypttab

# to allow non-root users to mount encrypted partitions on a specific hard drive
   # pass output of following command to DEVPATH argument where sdb is the drive with the encrypted partition
   #	$ udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb
   #	/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/ata4/host3/target3:0:0/3:0:0:0/block/sdb
   # reduce to host3/* means all devices on that sata port are mountable by non-root users

DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/ata4/host3/*", ENV{UDISKS_SYSTEM}="0"

I also found it interesting that unmounting the destination path as root meant that the next mount of the drive mapped to the standard /media/user/UUID not the systemd mount specified path.

Note I went this route because trying to specify /etc/fstab options made the system unusable (would not boot/login) even with options=noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=3,x-systemd.mount-timeout=3.

Any help is appreciated.