Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wireless network MAC address problem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Squarepants

Wireless network MAC address problem

#1 Post by Squarepants »

I have an odd problem that I can't figure out, and it's been a problem for months - and it seems to be getting worse. I have a subscription to a public wifi network with several hotspots. To use it, I connect to the network, and then it uses a captive portal which brings up a login page. After logging in I can use the internet pretty much as normal.

Mainly, it works fine, but sometimes I can't actually use the network - I can connect to the wifi signal and network manager shows as connected, but then I don't actually get any response from the network and the login page doesn't show up.

In desperation one time, I tried changing lots of things, and I changed the MAC address - and bingo, it works. Now, whenever this happens again, I disconnect, change the mac, and reconnect, and it works ok, for some time (can be several hours, might only be minutes), before it cuts out again. If I change the mac again, usually I can login again and use it with no problems for a bit longer.

It does kind of work, but it's inconvenient. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

phenest

Re: Wireless network MAC address problem

#2 Post by phenest »

1. What version of Debian?
2. What Desktop Environment?
3. What Network Manager?
4. What means do you use to make the changes you mentioned?
5. Any error messages? If so, from where?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D