Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remmina Package update

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Arkem

Remmina Package update

#1 Post by Arkem »

Hello
I am not sure this is the right place to ask about this subject, but since I didn't find any satisfying response after googling for a while, I try my chance here...

My problem is:
I used Remmina with a Mint system for a while at work. Not so much at first because version 1.1 is very buggy and unstable, but as soon as I could get the 1.2 version which is really good, it became my firts way of connecting to various machines using different OS...
Now, there is a while I would like to replace Mint with Debian, but what is blocking me is the old version 1.1 which is not reliable... so I waited patiently for the new version to apear someday in Sid, but time passes and nothing come...

Then my question is:
Is it just a delay because of a lack of time, or did the maintainer choose not to upgrade to 1.2 for some reason? Is there a way to know? I would like to know if I just have to be patient, or if I should think of another way to make 1.2 work on Debian (I tried Snap, but it is way too slow on my old laptop)...

Regards

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remmina Package update

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Jessie has 1.1.1-2 (which works fine for me) - this will never change.

Stretch (testing) has 1.1.2-4 and will still have this on it's release - and this will never change.

After Stretch is released new versions of packages will start flowing into sid then on into testing in due course as the maintainers have time and deem appropriate.

You can go off-piste and compile/install your own versions of anything you like but this will likely involve pain and breakage and a lot more "system maintenance" than you might enjoy.

Essentially YOU become the maintainer of such software on your system, and will be responsible for it's security patching and ensuring interoperability with the rest of your system - if it has a few dependencies that also need to be upgraded this can get out of hand quite quickly.

If you want the latest versions of stuff, Debian probably isn't for you.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Jessie has 1.1.1-2 (which works fine for me) - this will never change.
Works fine for me too, I also use it for long periods of time every once in awhile.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Arkem wrote:Now, there is a while I would like to replace Mint with Debian...
Based on what you've said, you probably don't. More likely, you just like the idea of running Debian.

Debian's release model is unique. It is not at all suited to people who want the latest software. With Debian, you face a choice between older, well-tested software or newer, totally untested software that could break without warning.
Arkem wrote:... or if I should think of another way to make 1.2 work on Debian
There is only one safe way to do so, and that's to compile from source. If you start mixing repos, you risk ending up in an unholy mess, as illustrated here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130

And that's why I say that I think you just like the idea of Debian, not actual Debian.

Arkem

#5 Post by Arkem »

Thank you for all your quick responses

If I understood well, the new version didn't come to Sid yet because of the freeze period of time. I can wait until it come after the next release, nothing is rushing

I thought new things keep coming to Sid during the freeze period, just not moving to testing... I must have misreaded something... and so I was wondering if maybe there was a trouble with the new version's license, or something alike... I don't know much the Sid version as I always used testing for desktop (at home, not at work)

Well, thank you again to all of you, I will change my work laptop from Mint to Debian next year hopefully ;-)

Cheers

cvele

#6 Post by cvele »

This is an explanation from remmina site https://www.remmina.org/wp/the-three-1- ... 9-stretch/. This is previous article on this subject https://www.remmina.org/wp/remmina-1-2- ... 9-stretch/

Arkem

#7 Post by Arkem »

Thank you very much, it is a good news to know remmina 1.2 will come to unstable. I will stick with 1.1 until then, but I will be glad to be able to use the newer version which works better for me in certain cases...