Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Black screen after upgrading to testing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [solved] Black screen after upgrading to testing

#16 Post by sunrat »

Changing sources from "stable" to "testing" then doing upgrade but not dist-upgrade is like building half a boat then launching it. Won't go well.
Now to avoid further surprises, change sources from "testing" to "stretch".
Also learn about system backups so you can recover from mishaps like this in case you can't fix it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

alete

Re: [solved] Black screen after upgrading to testing

#17 Post by alete »

sunrat wrote:Changing sources from "stable" to "testing" then doing upgrade but not dist-upgrade is like building half a boat then launching it. Won't go well.
Best reply in the whole thread. I don't know if you noticed that nobody mentioned it before. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for confirming it. (I learned from it in the worst way)
sunrat wrote:Now to avoid further surprises, change sources from "testing" to "stretch".
good call, thanks.
sunrat wrote:Also learn about system backups so you can recover from mishaps like this in case you can't fix it.
Also a very good advice. Thank you.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: